Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilymama_gw

Help - pressure canned chickpeas all moldy!

lilymama
12 years ago

I pressure canned two batches of chickpeas (about 7 quarts and 14 pints) a couple of months ago and now I looked in the pantry and I swear there is gray fuzzy mold growing in the bottom of most of the jars. Does anyone know what this is or why it happened? Is it possible it's not mold but some deterioration of the beans? It looks fuzzy though. I swear I followed all the appropriate pressure canning procedures. I've canned beans three times before and they were fine. I even canned chickpeas before and they were fine. I am so bummed out. Did I just lose all that hard work? What can I do to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Comments (23)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

No way to know for sure what it is without opening one of the jars. You'll have to spoon out the peas and see what the stuff on the bottom is. It could be just starch from the peas or peas that broke down during processing.

If they were canned and processed according to the approved instructions - rehydrated and processed for 75 and 90 min respectively - then the only way molds could develop is if the peas were moldy to begin with or if the jars weren't clean. Even then the processing should have killed it.

Dave

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

OK, hate this because if you had a photo you probably would have shown it, but I'll ask, do you or could you have a photo to post to show us?

• readinglady
    12 years ago

A photo would really help. It's really difficult to imagine anything detrimental that would survive the standard processing time, but beans can break down in ugly ways. There can also be various color changes and reactions depending upon the presence of minerals in the water. None of those are mold but they certainly can result in a cloudy and "fuzzy" layer.

Carol

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Wish I had some unopened jars left, but will have to do with this one that was in the fridge.

Maybe the "fuzzy" layer is just that gelatinous stuff that shows up when canned beans are cooled? I've noticed it especially with chickpeas.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Those are fine, though not as "pretty" as any of us would like. It's just starch reacting with the water. Think cornstarch in a sauce. Same thing.

I've found I reduce the amount/improve appearance if I put more water in the jars and fewer beans.

Carol

• lilymama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I took some pictures but really dumb question: how do I post photos here? Thanks!

• lilymama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I figured out how to post pictures.

I have more pictures too if needed from a couple of different jars. I didn't check every jar but it seemed like it affected most of them to various degrees.

What do you think it looks like? Does this look like mold? Do I have to toss out all these chickpeas?

Thanks for everyone's help!

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

I don't have any idea what that could be, however, about a year ago, I had a problem with lentils. A layer of - what looked like olive oil formed on top with a dark layer underneath it. No one was able to explain what it was.

I remember checking the net - including Wikipedia - to see if lentils might be related to soy beans - as soy beans are "oil" beans. But it said lentils were NOT.

Never did get an answer - but my family refused eating them - because they just didn't look right. Guess there is some truth in the saying that "people eat with their eyes."

Sorry - that's my 2 c's. But hope someone can come up with the reasons why these beans act so crazy sometimes.

Bejay

• lilymama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Readinglady, morz8 - did you get a chance to see the photos I posted? Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Not exactly sure what the fuzzy growth is from. However, I would treat it as though it was botulism and toss the jars and all. I would not open the jars and expose myself to any bacteria.
    Were they fully rehydrated and boiling hot as they went into the jars ? They must be hot packed.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I did see it and I'm sorry but I can't identify. But I would defer to LindaLou's expertise in a heartbeat so suggest you also take her advice.

That's very strange, it doesn't appear to be quite like sediment and almost looks like something growing to me - but again, I've never seen exactly that in a canned product....trust Linda.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I'm with the others. Never seen anything like it but it sure isn't "normal". In theory they should be safe to eat if well boiled first but personally I wouldn't. Falls into the standard - "when in doubt, throw it out' - category IMO. Sorry.

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I did look at the pictures, though after I'd posted. It is unusaul, but I'm still doubtful it's mold. I just can't fathom mold developing in properly pressure-processed product. If processing kills any potential botulism spores, it would seem that it would also kill incipient mold.

So mold can't develop during or after and if the beans had been moldy prior to processing you wouldn't have canned them anyway.

This is only a guess but I'm still thinking some kind of starchy deposit that clumped. It's my understanding that under certain conditions this can happen, depending upon such factors as temperature of soaking water, variety and relative dryness of the beans, etc.

I'm betting if you opened a jar you wouldn't smell mold.

However, as Dave said, it's always better to discard than to risk, so if you're uncomfortable in any way, no matter how painful it's the better option.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

That doesn't look like any starchy sediment to me. It doesn't look like mold, for sure.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Any chance you are on well water and using it for canning? If so when was the last time you had it tested?

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Riffing off what Dave said, the NCHFP does mention natural causes of "sediment" in jars including starchy vegetables, minerals in water and/or additives in salt, so it's entirely possible this is a consequence of one of those factors or a combination of factors but not necessarily harmful.

I keep coming back to my trust that fresh product+proper processing+strong seal may result in something odd looking but not deleterious.

If you have an Extension agency anywhere in your area or a nearby university with a food science department, I'd take a jar to them. It's always a challenge to work from a picture.

I will add my husband, whose family canned hundreds of jars of shell beans, said from time-to-time they did observe something similar and it was starch. But again, a real-time visual inspection may reveal something we're not noticing.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

All I can say is if you brought those to me at the extension office, I would tell you to toss them, just as I already did. Our motto is "when in doubt, throw them out ". I did not get an answer from the poster about whether they were raw or hot packed although she said she followed all the proper procedures . If raw packed, that would explain it.

• lilymama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all your replies! It is interesting to hear that this doesn't look like mold and also that it apparently looks like out of the ordinary, something you guys haven't seen before. I didn't expect that!

Dave - No, I'm not on well water. I'm on Florida municipal water, which isn't that great. I do have a filter on my sink though. Maybe I will start using distilled water for canning. I do use distilled water in the canner itself to reduce buildup but maybe I should also start cooking my beans in it too.

Linda Lou - They were hot packed. I soaked them overnight, drained/rinsed, then boiled them for 30 minutes. The only thing that was out of the ordinary for me was that I had too much for one pressure canner load (mine holds 7 quarts) so we hot packed 7 quarts, then processed them. Then after that was done, I reheated the leftover beans to boiling, hotpacked them and processed them. Could the delay in processing the second batch be the problem? The only thing is, I am not sure if the problem is limited to the second batch because I didn't label them by batch.

I'm also going to call the extension office and see what they say. Thanks everyone for your help!

• Sristi
    12 years ago

Any final word on this? My chickpeas have the same thing. I used table salt instead of canning salt--would that make a difference? Also, I'm pretty sure I saw the gray stuff right after I pulled them out of the canner. I kept the jars while I debated what to do with them.

• ashleybakes
    12 years ago

That looks just like potato starch after it sits. If Sristi is right and hers had it immediately out of the pressure cooker, I would think it to be starch.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Table salt can certainly make a difference due to the anti-caking and free-flow additives. Those can turn liquids cloudy, for instance.

Carol

• HU-549266878
    3 years ago

I just found this fuzz in my jar of dried chickpeas, so I looked closely and found insects in the jar!!! Throw them out!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022