Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

Should I taste my fermented shellies, or wait a bit?

NilaJones
10 years ago

They have been at 50-60 degrees F for 2.5 weeks. They smell good, but should I wait a few more days because of the cold temps?

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Can't you compensate for those temps some way so that proper fermentation temps of 70 degrees can be used? Low-temp fermentation such as that not only affects the quality but can also affect the safety.

Smell AND their appearance needs be be evaluated but yeah, they probably won't hurt you.

That said NCHFP recommends 3-4 weeks at 60 degrees. Fermentation below that temp is not recommended as fermentation may not happen at all.

Dave

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I did not realise below 60 was bad! I was just guesstimating temps in my post, tho I doubt they have ever gone above 63. The low could be as high as 55, but I really don't know.

I could put a heating pad under them, but I think that would be TOO warm. In this very eco-conscious house, we don't have the normal waste heat sources. Tankless water heater, for example, so not hot tank to sit them on.

My vinegars have been doing fine -- do they tolerate lower temps, or are they a good indicator for the beans? They are right next to each other.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Temp inside the fermenting container is one of the most crucial factors for effective fermentation. Too hot and you can end up with a foul smelly, soggy mess. Too cool and you can easily end up with no fermentation or only a half or "stuck" ferment and bad bacteria can survive and even thrive.

You also need to avoid big temperature swings from one end of the scale to the other.

So for most of us who don't want to invest in special equipment like copper fermenting wraps, internal heaters, thermostats or insulating blankets, etc. we use the ambient air room temps available to both stabilize and raise the internal temps to the ideal range of 68-72.

The average home ambient air temp is around 65-70 in the winter months so that is usually sufficient. But every home has cold spots and warmer spots so you often have to "map" out the ideal location with a thermometer to find it. Top shelf of an inside closet for example is often 5-10 degrees warmer than out in the room, top of a fridge wi usually warmer (heat rises), even setting the jug in a big pan of water can help since it increases the thermal mass, etc.

If your home is maintained at much lower temps then some sort of local supplemental heat may need to be supplied but setting on a heating pad - never. Wrap it in some sort of insulating material or find a warmer nook in your home.

Linked one article on the role of temperature in fermentation below but many others are available via Google. While many of them are beer and wine oriented, the same guidelines apply and especially so with foods just because of the different density. Liquids will tolerate less temperature control than solids.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Controlling the temperature of your fermentations

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh dear. I was awsre that I couldn't do fermentation in the summer, when indoor daily highs are around 85, I will try to find a warm spot but it will not be continuously warm.

What do you think I ought to do with these beans, that have been on the cool side for so long? If they were regular vegies I would just go by taste, but beans are so easy to get sick from when they don't taste very 'off', at least cooked, non fermentated ones are. I hate to throw them out, though, as the plants are frozen so I don't have more. Was hoping to serve them for Thanksgiving O_o.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You make good points about the potential problems with them, especially if planning to serve them outside the family. But I can only tell you what I would do from my canning conservative POV - I'd taste a few of them and if they taste ok and no problems develop within 24 hours then I would can them and let the processing take care of any problems that might exist.

The only other alternative I'd be comfortable with would be to let them keep fermenting but boil them before eating. JMO

Dave

PS: while continuous temps would be the ideal it isn't a;ways possible. So at least try to avoid extreme changes. You can do that be finding the warmer spot and then sitting the container in a pot of water about 1/2 way up the jar. That will help stabilize the temp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning shellies

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is a good idea about the water!

I don't think I will can them. My pressure canner is huge and in storage, and they are just one jar. I could see boiling them, though doesn't that obviate much of the heslth benefit of fermentation? Still, they might be tasty...

Anything else we haven't thought of?

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I put them in the warmest spot in the house, right next to the heater, and in a big bowl of water. The water got to a low of 53 overnight and a high of 67 with the heat on for hours.

If I ferment them another week there, are they likely to be ok? Do I just need to throw them out? Is the previous time at lower temps fixable by warmer time now?