Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

what to do with frozen rasberries

michelelc
10 years ago

I got a lot of rasberries this summer from a friend. I was too busy to do anything with them, so I froze them. I have about 5 quart sized plastic bags of them, and i'm not sure what to do with them. I read that making jelly with frozen berries isn't ideal. Any other suggestions? My boyfriend thought they were "too seedy", so I would probably need to deseed them if he was to eat what I make :)

Comments (9)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Red or black? Funny you should bring this up, because I decided to neaten up the big freezer today and yanked out five bags of frozen red raspberries because I have a slew of them I froze last summer and needed to get them out of the freezer. If they were black raspberries,I'd say use them in pies. If they are red, nope. Red raspberries make excellent jams and jellies. If you are making jelly, then no absolutely freezing does not hurt them at all. If you have concerns about the seeds, I'd actually recommend you juice them out and make jelly. Solves the seed issue. Makes a wonderful jelly for sure.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

They also make excellent pancake syrup and ice cream topping. You can incorporate them into muffins and mix them into Red Velvet cake. Mix them in with yogurt. Vinaigrette dressing, chutney.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Raspberry recipes

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Frozen berries do JUST FINE in jellies. I purposely freeze my fruit, including berries. You get more juice without having to add sugar. If I had them, they would go into jam and jelly. I would drain them and capture the juice, then use the rest for jam.

If you lived close enough, I'd be on your doorstep. I can't keep berry jam on my table at my stand.

I make seedless Blackberry Jam (I don't have a source of Red) by running the pulp (after draining most of the juice) thru my Kitchenaid strainer/juicer. It get almost all the seeds out. The pulp is VERY thick and it's hard on the machine, so add some juice back to make it easier on the machine.

Marla

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I have no time during berry picking season to do anything but pick berries, so all my berries, all types, go into the freezer. I don't see any difference in the end product at all and I typically have large quantities of blueberries, red raspberries, strawberries, and wild blackberries frozen - this year is no different.

Thaw your berries and feel confident in using them...

• calliope
    10 years ago

My red raspberries are juiced now and in the fridge, and shall morph into wonderful jars of red jelly tomorrow. Yum. Nom, nom.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

They make a fairly easy hot pudding if you just put them in an oven proof dish with sugar to taste and cover with a Victoria sponge mixture (equal weights fat, sugar, flour, eggs). Bake and serve hot with vanilla ice cream, cream or custard.

All frozen berries also make a good summer pudding:

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Pudding

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yes.........I do similar with my raspberries. However, if I am wanting to use them for things like muffins, or trifles or in pancake batter or over cold puddings as a relish, I find that taking the extra time to freeze berries separately on a cookie tin, and then bag them really helps to keep them looking good, and have them useable as fresh, since I don't have to thaw them (and have them crumble since raspberries are so fragile). One can just pour them out since they aren't one frozen lump.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't take the time to freeze individually, but I only use mine for jams and jellies, unless hubby steals a few.

• michelelc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas! I think I'll defrost and strain some of the seeds out, them make jam. I think I would like to use a few whole berries for some nice texture, but not all because it would be too seedy.