Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Freezer Daikon Slaw

denninmi
12 years ago

I made this the other day, using the old recipe for freezer cole slaw, but substituting daikons. Turned out great.

4 larger daikon (each approximately 12 to 14 inches long x 2 to 3 inches in diameter), peeled

2 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed clean per your preference

2 tender stalks celery (use the middle stalks, not the tougher outer ones nor the palest inner ones)

2 medium onions, peeled

Grate all of the vegetables in a food processor with a coarse grating blade. Transfer to a large, non-reactive bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of non-iodized salt, and stir to mix thoroughly. Set aside for one to two hours to allow the salt to draw the moisture from the vegetables.

Transfer to a sieve or cheese-cloth lined colander (perhaps you have one with smaller holes than mine, I find the cheesecloth necessary or too much of the slaw comes out the holes). Press out as much of the moisture as possible. When it's properly pressed out, it will be quite dry, and will hold together in tight clumps or balls.

Separately, combine in a saucepan 1 cup cider vinegar, to 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon mustard seed, 1 teaspoon celery seed, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to disolve the sugar, and then boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, allow to cool, and add 1/4 cup white vinegar plus 1/2 teaspoon "Fruit Fresh" (optional, but helps to keep the radish white).

Combine the brine with the vegetables, and mix thoroughly. Put into a container with a tight-fitting lid, and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then, remove from fridge, stir well to blend, and package as desire in freezer containers and freeze, leaving about a half inch of head space to allow for expansion.

I don't know how long this would store in the freezer, but I would think you should use within 4 to 6 months.

Comments (2)