Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezer Daikon Slaw

Posted by denninmi (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 17:14

I made this the other day, using the old recipe for freezer cole slaw, but substituting daikons. Turned out great.

4 larger daikon (each approximately 12 to 14 inches long x 2 to 3 inches in diameter), peeled
2 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed clean per your preference
2 tender stalks celery (use the middle stalks, not the tougher outer ones nor the palest inner ones)
2 medium onions, peeled

Grate all of the vegetables in a food processor with a coarse grating blade. Transfer to a large, non-reactive bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of non-iodized salt, and stir to mix thoroughly. Set aside for one to two hours to allow the salt to draw the moisture from the vegetables.

Transfer to a sieve or cheese-cloth lined colander (perhaps you have one with smaller holes than mine, I find the cheesecloth necessary or too much of the slaw comes out the holes). Press out as much of the moisture as possible. When it's properly pressed out, it will be quite dry, and will hold together in tight clumps or balls.

Separately, combine in a saucepan 1 cup cider vinegar, to 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon mustard seed, 1 teaspoon celery seed, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to disolve the sugar, and then boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, allow to cool, and add 1/4 cup white vinegar plus 1/2 teaspoon "Fruit Fresh" (optional, but helps to keep the radish white).

Combine the brine with the vegetables, and mix thoroughly. Put into a container with a tight-fitting lid, and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then, remove from fridge, stir well to blend, and package as desire in freezer containers and freeze, leaving about a half inch of head space to allow for expansion.

I don't know how long this would store in the freezer, but I would think you should use within 4 to 6 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezer Daikon Slaw

How does it smell? I made some daikon fridge pickles last year with the daikon we were getting from our csa. Hubby had to eat it on the screened porch it reeked of sulfur so badly.

o
RE: Freezer Daikon Slaw

I didn't notice any odor to speak of from the daikon. The onions I used were quite strong, so it smelled like that, plus the celery and mustard seed and vinegar. My daikons are just perfect this year, and exceptionally mild. We've had a ton of rain since late July, and mild temps, so they're super happy.

I've been eating this stuff for a couple of days now -- I kept some back in the fridge. It's really good. I pulled the last of the vegetables Saturday, and am going to do the rest of them up the same way so they don't go to waste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here