Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canfan

cranberries

canfan
9 years ago

I just pulled 7 jars of Cranberry Mustard out of the caner. Used Balls Big Book recipe. Do you have a favorite cranberry canning recipe?

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly we can most of ours plain. That way they can be used for all sorts of recipes later. Plus it means we have them available even in the years when the crop fails as it did a couple of years back and they were hard to find and expensive.

We do make some of the cranberry sauce recipe at NCHFP and wife make several jars of the Cranberry-Orange (or Apple) Chutney and the Cranberry Conserve recipes at NCHFP for holiday use.

Dave

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Hi Canfan,
    I like Cranberry Apple jam. It cooks up very quickly and everyone loves it.
    Cranberry Apple Jam
    6 cups cranberries
    3 cups peeled, chopped apples
    4 cups sugar (I usually use 3)
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Pick through cranberries removing stems and debris. Wash cranberries. Peel and chop apples into little chunks. Add sugar and lemon juice. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to rolling boil. When set, pour into jars and process in HWB for ten minutes.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    MJ

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

With all of the canning I do, I hadn't thought of canning cranberries! We just put extras in the freezer and use them that way. Out comes the canning supplies next week...

• canfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks MJ for the canspiration ;) dm.... let us know what you are going to can... the chutneys/conserves look delicious, too.

I'm thinking about some cranberry pepper jam... but the cranberry apple jam is possible, too.

My son loves the cranberry orange relish but I haven't been able to find a canning recipe yet. He is in the Air Force so it needs to be able to hold up via mail or ups...

• berrybusy
    9 years ago

This is the recipe I use for cranberry juice. It's not an official version, just so everyone knows. It is from a cranberry growers cookbook. I get my cranberries from a local grower and canned 27 quarts of this juice this week. I think it is very good.

2 pounds fresh cranberries
    14 cups water
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice (sometimes I use lime)

Boil cranberries and water in a large kettle until all pop. Pour through a strainer lined with several layers of damp cheesecloth. Return strained juice to stove. Add sugar and boil 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, add lemon juice. Bottle. Process 15 minutes - boiling water bath. (Adjust for elevation.)
    Makes about 7 pints.
    Can be doubled for 7 quarts. (Make sure your kettles are large enough.)

The pulp is very good sieved like for applesauce. Sweeten to taste and enjoy. Or add to applesauce. Or sweeten and dehydrate for fruit roll-ups or drops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernardin/Ball cranberry juice recipe (for comparison)