Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

Old recipe that been lost. Help.

myfamilysfarm
10 years ago

I was raised with a recipe for "apple salad". My mother made it, but now can't remember it. She's in her 80s and getting forgetful.

I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and will share their recipe with me. I only know a few of the ingredients.

What I remember it had apple chunks, grapes, walnuts (optional, if we had them) and cool whip. I don't remember what else.

Can someone help me?

I realize this isn't a 'harvest' question, but so many of you are so knowledgeable.

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Waldorf Salad. Great stuff!! Credited to the Chef at the Waldorf Hotel in 1896. 2 cups each chopped apples, halved grapes, diced celery, 1 cup minnie marshmallows, chopped walnuts or pecans (optional), Usual is 1/2 cup mayo or MW whipped with 1/2 cup plain yogurt but you can use Cool Whip for a sweeter flavor, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice, sprinkle of allspice.

Dave

Chill and serve alone or topped on salad greens.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I've never had an apple salad with Cool Whip, but my favorite green salad is apple with Romaine, walnuts, blue cheese and balsamic vinagrette.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I'm think the same as Dave, that you are thinking of the Waldorf or some version of that. It didn't start out with Cool Whip, since the salad predates all of us ;)....The dressing wasn't nearly as sweet, that came later. Cool Whip wasn't even around until I was in high school, we had cream we could whip, and, later - boxed dry Dream Whip with frozen Cool Whip following that.

We didn't have the marshmallows in our Waldorf salad, I can only remember having marshmallows in their full size for camping trips, on a stick, over a fire.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

The recipe at the link sounds close. It can be difficult when family members' memories are fading and we suddenly realize precious traditions are at risk of loss.

I hope this recipe will get you going in the right direction. I expect your mom made it so many times she could do it with her eyes closed.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Janet's Apple Salad

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. I think it is a version of the waldorf, minus the celery. We never bought celery and never grew it.

I have tried to copy her recipes, but this one wasn't in her 'books'. This one wasn't there. Last year, I wanted to make all of the family's favorites for my kids and hand out the recipes for the younger generation to carry them on.

Marla

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you Google 'Waldorf Salad' you'll find many recipes with some slight differences in ingredients - like the celery. Some include Mandarin oranges, some have coconut, and some add lemon zest. Some use yogurt and some sour cream.

Dave

• nancyofnc
    10 years ago

I think it was Miracle Whip not Cool Whip that was on that salad. Miracle Whip is like mayonnaise and is often called salad dressing spread.
    Nancy

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It may have been Miracle Whip, I know it's sweeter than regular mayo, and my family was a big MW user. One of my immediate family doesn't like any mayo, so I might use cool whip.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

My Grandmother's recipe included apples, unpeeled, walnuts, mayo and sugar to taste. I think that is all she included, but it was so, so good. There was never a bit left. Love bringing back family memories.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think a lot of the recipes will be different, due to not having everything that the original required. Back in the day, we didn't run to the store if we were out of something, we did make do.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I know "oleo" is different now, I've had to adapt my grandmother's blueberry buckle recipe to use butter (cold) instead of the (melted) margarine for the topping. Now with FDA phasing out transfats, I'm wondering if shortening is going to be impossible to find.

Might be back to butter and lard if you need a solid fat instead of oil.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!