Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

Harsch Crocks Gone From Market

cannond
10 years ago

For those interested, Harch fermenting crocks no longer seem to be available. Various sites claim they've closed their doors.

During my search I found an Ohio Stoneware crock that is modeled after the European form, anaerobic, water channel and all. It's three gallons, made in America and loads cheaper than the Harsch crocks I've purchased in the past. I've ordered one. I hope the quality is commensurate.

I don't think they're as attractive, though. Pale grey with blue double stripes. Kind of chilly.

Deborah

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Gairtopf, former partner with Harsch, is now associated with Schmitt Crocks dba Schmitt-Gairtopf. Same identical models and accessories.

Dave

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought gairtopf was the type of vessel. I've looked at the Schmitt on Amazon and Canning Pantry (I think it's Canning Pantry), and a few other sites. They look different from the Harsch.

Schmitt hasn't receive the highest ratings on Amazon. Could you tell me where you're looking so I can see.

Deborah

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Ohio Stoneware crock arrived yesterday (fast shipping) and I'm quite pleased with it. The glaze is even, the opening generous, the stones nearly identical to the Harsch. It is lighter weight than the Harsch, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I really don't like lifting these things when they're full. So, lighter weight is an advantage for me.

Being that it's made in America and considerably less expensive than its European counterparts, it's a winner.

Deborah

• canfan
    10 years ago

Cannond, could you post the link to the crock that you purchased, please? I did a search but couldn't find one that seems like what you purchased. Thank you.

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canfan, I don't know how to post a link, but I'll give it a try.

http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpreserving/harsch_crocks.htm

Scroll down the page and you'll see it.

In the event this doesn't work, put wisementrading into your search engine. I just found it by searching for Harsch Ohio Stoneware.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Deborah

• canfan
    10 years ago

That did it, Cannond.. Looks like it would work quite nicely. I am using 5 gal plastic buckets which work but .... this crock is very cool!

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad you like it, Canfan. As it happens, the color is better than the picture representation. Instead of grey, it's more of a cream with navy stripes.

The quality is excellent.

Deborah

• malna
    10 years ago

Also found it on pressurecooker-outlet.com for $56 + $21 shipping (to me, anyway). Hm, wonder if Santa would bring me one.

Deborah, you are such an enabler :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermentation Crock

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I thought gairtopf was the type of vessel.

Learn something new everyday. :-) That's what I get for making assumptions. Thanks for the correction.

Dave

• canfan
    10 years ago

ohlala.... I just showed the crock to my husband.. he was happy to see that I found something for Christmas that didn't have a bunch of zero's following the whole numbers... :) makes us both happy!

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>he was happy to see that I found something for Christmas that didn't have a bunch of zero's following It looks like he'll be happier still, if you take Malna's advice. The one she found at pressurecooker-outlet.com is even less expensive than the one I got.

Deborah

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Malna, I ordered another one of these through the company you linked. Thanks for the stellar research.

We just made a batch of Japanese type (Tsukemono) sauerkraut in this new crock. It held 8 medium cabbages, 8 bunches of scallions and all the attendant seasonings (naturally fermented soy sauce, etc.) with room to spare. I could probably have gotten a small ninth cabbage if I'd attempted it.

This is our favorite variation of sauerkraut, so I'm eager for the finished product in about six weeks

I would like to try one with apples and onions. Has anyone a tried recipe for this? Did you like it? Would you share?

Deborah

• malna
    10 years ago

Must have been a lucky search (I don't use Google BTW). That one was the first link that came up.

Have to write my letter to Santa this week. Don't think he can fit a new kitchen down the chimney, but he might be able to fit a crock in his sleigh :-)

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a follow up on the Ohio Stoneware European style crock. I decanted it today, which is a much longer time than the original six week ferment. I did this on the advice of a seasoned fermenter who insists longer time in the crock gives greater depth of flavor. He was right.

I do have one observation, though. This crock is different from the Harsch in that it doesn't have the melodious blip..blip..blip that indicates the ferment is working away. One must resist the temptation to check it, however, as it does work.

I have a Polish crock and it doesn't have the blipping sound either. I miss the blip. It was very satisfying.

I hope those of you who were waiting for the Ohio crock for Christmas weren't disappointed.

Deborah