Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Looking for fresh lemon curd recipe

2ajsmama
11 years ago

I know Carol said she makes hers fresh, Pixie Lou probably does too. Looking to make a small amount to use as filling for DS's birthday cake tomorrow. I have a recipe calling for 6 Tbsp butter, 3/4C sugar (should that be superfine?), 2 large eggs (I have fresh-laid), 1 Tbsp zest and 1/4C juice. Melt the butter, let it cool, whisk rest together, then whisk in the butter, bring to boil whisking all the time, 5-7 min, then take off heat and continue to whisk.

But if anybody has a tried and true recipe for a small amount (1-2C) I'd love to have it. I did search, couldn't find anything but NCHFP recipe for canning. Thanks

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

NCHFP - Lemon Curd recipe is for fresh/frozen, not canned. And it answers the sugar question too.

But Google pulls up tons of recipes for making it fresh - all with basically the same ingredients. Several are from noted chefs.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Lemon Curd recipes

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny - I saw this one on NCHFP and it said it could be canned - looks the same as one in your link.

But I was hoping to get Carol's recipe, and I don't want to make a huge batch.

Oh, and the recipe I have in one of my cookbooks just says sugar, I know NCHFP says superfine (which I do have), but they measure differently so that's why I wanted to check if I should use my small-batch recipe but with superfine sugar (how much), or just get another recipe recommended (either posted or linked). Also interesting that NCHFP calls for chilled butter pats, and my recipe calls for melting the butter and then letting it cool just enough that it doesn't curdle the eggs.

I'd really appreciate a recipe/link/tips from someone who has made this before.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP canned lemon curd

• cannond
    11 years ago

I do have a lemon curd recipe, but it IS for Canning. It makes 3 cups and uses fresh lemons, lemon zest, sugar, butter, eggs and salt. It's from Put Em Up! , by Sherri Brooks Vinton.

I'm making some as a Christmas gift for a friend who is lemon crazy. I canned it for the first time last year and we're quite fond of it.
    Deborah

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I use a combination of Linda Amendt's and Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe and it makes a big batch because I find it not much more trouble than a small batch and great to freeze.

Linda Lou has posted a microwave curd previously but I don't see it on the forum right now. Perhaps she'll re-post or you can look at King Arthur Flour's blog for a speedy microwave curd. That might fill the bill.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Curd Under Ten Minutes

• nancyofnc
    11 years ago

I make the Lemon Curd from video on Joy of Baking.com It never fails me. I put it in 5 little recycled glass baby food jars, under refrigeration, and sell it at the farmers market, selling all of it every time I offer it. It will keep for at least 3 weeks.

Nancy

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I've looked at all of those recipes plus tips from baking911 - I'm going to try 2-3 eggs, 3/4C granulated sugar, 4-6Tbsp butter (added at end, not melted and whisked in at the beginning) to make just 1-1.5 cup. DS's birthday cake is the only thing I ever use curd in/on, I can't tell you how many partial (or even unopened, since it's got a very short shelf life) jars of storebought I've thrown out! Freezers are stuffed and I still have 5 pumpkins outside I'm going to need to freeze since I don't have a PC.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

When it's convenient you might want to look at Beranbaum's Ultimate Lemon Bar recipe, which requires a curd sufficient for an 8x8 pan.

It's kind of fiddly (She is obsessive.) but whether you use the recipe or not, it's worth it just to read the tips.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Lemon Curd Bar

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

baking911 had RLB's recipe and some tips - lemon bars is something I would make more than once a year! Though I don't tend to bake many sweets except around the holidays (and all our birthdays are around the holidays).

I used 2 whole eggs (4oz), juice (2oz) and zest (didn't measure) from 1 lemon, 3/4C sugar, put in glass bowl over small saucepan, took a while to thicken and I added 1/2 stick of butter (in pats) while still on the stove. Added a little more bottled lemon juice (Nellie & Joe's Key West) b/c it needed more - next time I'll use more zest. Seemed pretty thick after all day in fridge but I left it on the counter while reading DD bedtime story so thinned out, more like a glaze but I torted the cake and put a little more than half on (didn't strain since I have microplane, didn't seem to be obnoxiously large chunks of anything), put top on cake and then glazed the top (like a Boston cream cake/pie). We'll see how it is after night in fridge - may just serve with whipped cream rather than usual lemon buttercream frosting.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Ok I'm late to the party. DD is a Nutcracker dancer - and the shows have begun.

Mix 1 cup sugar with the zest of 2 lemons. Let sit overnight.

In stand mixer - cream the sugar with 6 tablespoons butter.

Add in - 1 at a time - 2 eggs and 2 yolks.

Mix in 2/3 cup lemon juice (juice from the 2 lemons, plus bottled to top off)

Move to a double boiler - make sure the bowl sits on steam, not water.

Heat to 170 (takes almost 1/2 hour - stir often)

HWB for 15 minutes in 4 oz jars. Use within 3 months.

I usually make it around Xmas. And I finish it up for my Easter baking.

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

MICROWAVE LEMON CURD
    2- 3 fresh lemons
    1/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar (Splenda works well, too, for diabetics)
    2 eggs
    Finely grate the lemon peel. Squeeze lemons to make 1/2 cup lemon juice into a microwaveable 4 cup container. Stir in rind, butter, and sugar.Microwave uncovered on high for 1 and 1/2- 2 minutes. or until butter melts and mixture is hot.
    Beat eggs in a bowl. Gradually add the hot lemon mixture to the eggs, stir constantly. Return to the microwave container and microwave on med. for another 1- 2 min., stir every 30 seconds, until it is thickened. Do not boil. It will thicken as it cools.
    Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.
    Makes 1 2/3 cups.
    Variations:
    Use 1 lime, tangerine, or orange in place of one lemon.