Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

Dehydrators

mrs_tlc
11 years ago

Hello. I am new to this forum and have been researching various dehydrators for a while now. Most affordable ones, Nesco, LEM, Excaliber, etc. are made of plastic so BPA or other toxins are a concern. The stainless steel ones have chrome shelving.......not sure about that.. Some people have said to use the car but that's worse than buying a plastic one since benzine levels in a hot car are very high.

I go through the trouble to grow my veggies so they are better than store bought so I don't want to then contaminate them in the drying process. Has anyone on this forum built one? Would love to see photos and hear suggestions.

TIA

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Nesco, LEM, Excaliber, etc. are made of plastic so BPA or other toxins are a concern.

How so? From everything I have read Nesco dehyrators are BPA free. Comments posted on several forums indicate that others have called Nesco directly and asked and been so informed. Have you checked their website/FAQs to see?

What other "contaminants" concern you? What issues have you identified with chrome and stainless steel?

If you make your own then you encounter the possible issues of wood and fiberglass contaminants such as molds and fungi that plastic doesn't have. And given the poor quality foods and all the waste that others report results from using most home-made dehydrators I think I'd prefer to put the BPA issue into proper perspective, IF is exists in the Nesco dryers, and end up with high quality dried foods.

Still if you want to experiment there are all sorts of pics and plans on the web for homemade dehydrators and Mother Earth magazine has published plans for one in the past on their website too.

JMO

Dave

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry, forgot to add - welcome to the forum! :)

Dave

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Agree, I wouldn't worry a bit, ...if I would, then I shouldn't wear any nylon socks or stay in my heated home.
    Temperatures are very low in dehydration, ... well below temperatures needed in the deforming of plastics and releasing chemicals.

Any stainless steel used for this purpose is not advisable because it would be harder to clean,...not made from this material for a reason, meat or sausage for smoking etc.yes,...higher in temperature.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions