Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botulism and room temperature fermentation with salt & no vineg

Posted by brunojonestz none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 21:00

Hi There,

I make some kosher style dills in Thailand since can't buy them here...I don't use any vinegar, no heat, no canning, simple natural long fermentation.

I use 45 grams of sea salt per liter, they take about 35 days and become full sour. Taste is great and never had a problem.

However lately, I read online that they could be a botulism risk?

- Does the salt prohibit botulism?
- Does the lacto bacillus prevent botulism?
- Is there a risk or is it pretty much non existent?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruno

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botulism and room temperature fermentation with salt & no vin

As long as the pickles contain the proper ratio of salt to water there is no problem, though in your case temperature may also be an issue. If your conditions are overly warm, that can foster the growth of molds and spoilage rather than fermentation.

However, I doubt botulism would be an issue. If fermentation is proceding as desired, then the natural formation of lactic acid makes other acids (i.e. vinegar or acetic acid) unnecessary and creates an environment inhospitable to botulism spores.

For full fermentation of kosher-style dills you'd need a 10% solution or 329g of salt per gallon of water (3.785L).

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here