Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tclynx

Designing an outdoor kitchen

tclynx
15 years ago

I have a space about 12' by 12' just a few steps out my back door that I am planning to turn into my "outdoor kitchen"

What are things people with experience preserving food would consider must have features?

There is currently a concrete block grill in the middle of the space but that needs to be dismantled and re-done anyway as the original design is not very functional.

We are in central Florida so this space will get used year round (in the winter cause it is nice to be outside and in the summer to keep from heating up the house.)

We currently have a combo charcoal grill/smoker that will likely get more use out there. It is one of the round upright kinds.

We plan on adding at least one gas burner like for a turkey fryer but adjustable and placing it at an appropriate height for a large canner being used by a short person.

Next to the canner burner will be counter space and camp stoves for the other operations involved in canning.

We will need a sink and running water hooked up for the space of course. (Shouldn't be too hard as this space is not far from the location of the outdoor shower.)

The current ground covering in this location is washed sea shells. I was hoping that surface might keep the other half from working around the grill barefoot and getting burned on the bottoms of the feet.

I expect that pavers will be needed to support the feet of certain items to make them stable and level.

Please share ideas about how you like to lay things out to make the way you work flow.

Comments (7)

• jimster
    15 years ago

Great idea! It instantly meshed with other ideas I've been mulling over. I want to build a small smoke house/barbecue and an outdoor cooking and eating area with storage and various conveniences. I'm thinking of making all of it in a screen house. I miss the tent camping we used to do before buying the house. I need more outdoor living.

Jim

• rosebudd1255
    15 years ago

don't forget a fridge and some shelves and drawers for your supplies

• tclynx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mentally adding an outdoor cabinet for supplies. Not sure that I would be keeping much other than the canning tools, grill tools, burners, and perhaps jars in waiting out there thought.

I don't think I can justify a fridge out in the back yard thought it might be tempting to stick one on the back porch, I'm trying to reduce the electric bill rather than increase it which was the whole reason for buying the new fridge for inside. I still have the old one but I know it sucks down the kilowatts big time so it has been acting as a cabinet out in the garage rather than a fridge.

• malna
    15 years ago

Here's this summer's impromptu canning kitchen.

Must haves (for me):
    Large counter space that you can cut on and put hot things on. Mine is an old piece of Corian on sawhorses (I have been promised a better table for next year!)
    Very washable surfaces, especially the floor. I seem to get tomato seeds and pepper skins everywhere, and outside I can just hose them off.
    I keep my supplies (rings, lids, tongs, etc.) in plastic shoeboxes stacked in a plastic cooler, which doubles as the ice water bath after blanching.

• tclynx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

malna
    Probably much similar to what I'm going to wind up with for a season or two. (course around here, it will be year round use.)
    I expect the counter/table to be on sawhorses or blocks (blocks only if I can be certain it can't be knocked over though.)

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

A low-budget answer here - we stacked up cinder blocks and use doubled, 1 x 6" x 8 foot long cedar planks to form counter tops and hold an hibachi. The advantages - if you don't get it right, it takes an hour to rearrange, you can shift a block or two for windbreaks and creating specialized stuff like holding up a big pot of something over a propane, electric, or charcoal heat source.

Then we have a big charcoal smoker/grill off to the side, which has wheels.

Re prepping food out doors, practically speaking, that doesn't happen all that often - flies/wasps/neighbors dog. But the planks form a sturdy enough surface for holding quantities of stuff prepped indoors.

We have running water and a big, double laundry sink in our greenhouse, which is maybe 40 feet away from the outdoor cooking stuff. The drain runs out into a flower bed - that works fine, no need to hook it up to the septic, as long as its just bits of vegetable scraps.

All this is on a concrete slab, which helps.

Disadvantages; well, it looks like somebody stacked up a bunch of cinderblocks on the cheap. And all that smoke stains the blocks. But generally, in the yin-yang of outdoor cooking, if the food is good, nobody cares if your cinderblocks have smoke stains.

• gran2
    15 years ago

I love this idea! Taking a cue from some south American facilities, a shelf covered with ceramic tiles is virtually weatherproof, very dramatic, and could be downright cheap if you used flea market or discontinued tiles. Size your shelf to fit whatever you find. Easily cleaned, too.