Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Thinking about a retirement income!

I need something to do, and would like a few extra $ in my pocket!
ILOVE soup! And have been called the "Soup Nazi" on several occasions! LOL
I'm thinking of upping my soup making and advertising at local dental places that do oral surgery.
I have a food saver, and can freeze and save all sorts of foods! I do vegetarian and meat based soups (and vege stews)
Our county recently relaxed the rules on cooking stuff at home.
My question is, would you go for my soup business? I try to go as organic as possible (mostly from my garden), as organic as possible. I can't say EVERYTHING is organic
What say you? Nancy

Comments (8)

• defrost49
    9 years ago

I have contemplated cooking/gardening for income. In our area there are some very active farmers markets so that would be where I would aim especially if the market was late in the day on a weekday (soup for supper!). Free samples are important and I also think help attract customers to the market in general. At some Saturday farmers markets, there are several food vendors doing a brisk business in lunches. The markets have a picnic area. If you teamed up with a bread baker, that would be a great combination even if you simply had adjacent tables.

Sorry, but I would not bother advertising at dental places. I'm a patient and I just want to get out of there and would associate discomfort with anything advertised there.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I have to agree with defrost that I just can't relate to the dental connection in any way. But as long as you can work within your state's limitations on sales to the public - no way we could do soups here - then go for it.

They would sell well here at fall and winter craft shows and similar indoor events. In this part of the country there is at least one of those almost every weekend. And consider selling to any local M&P cafes or restaurants.

Keep in mind that the liability insurance and the IRS side-effects can be a real PIA too. At times they can make it more trouble than it is worth.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Dave, I wouldn't go nearly so big as to do restaurant or cafes! I'm just thinking of 1-2 servings, packaged and frozen.
    And defrost, I'm also not big enough for a farmers market!
    I was thinking of the dental thing because several friends who have had dental surgery have loved my soups! Also my 94 YO FIL loves to get my frozen soups when he doesn't want to go down to the dining room at his assisted living place!
    Hmmmmmmmm, maybe a retirement place!
    I'm not talking about making a living here, just a few extra bucks. Nancy

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Nancy, sorry, but I would double-check rules about homemade products since soups are perishable. I think any part-time business runs into the problem of making a few extra bucks and being a "real business". For example, homeowners insurance does not cover if a customer falls on your steps and you are considered running a home business. You might be better off working for someone else in a food business. You should talk to your insurance agent. You can get free business advice from SCORE (Senior Corps of Retired Executives) found in the phone book under US Small Business Administration. They also have a website where you can leave a question for a volunteer to answer (check volunteer biographies for a good match). You can also check with your local county cooperative extension for information on home food businesses esp rules and regulations. Perhaps you could supply frozen soups to a small local market. That's the kind of thing sold at the food coop in town and small grocery stores around here.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

I think the assisted living center could be a niche. My friends get breakfast and dinner, so lunch is on their own. An easy to prep soup (heat and serve) would be great.

Make sure you fully check regs. I make, but can't sell, shag bark hickory syrup (like maple, but not sap-derived), so I give it to friends and they pay me for the bottles I buy. Also, you'll likely need to take the on-line food handing course...and have certificate handy. It varies by state.

Good luck!!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Oh Dave, I wouldn't go nearly so big as to do restaurant or cafes! I'm just thinking of 1-2 servings, packaged and frozen.

Based on personal experience I think you might be surprised how much interest in just that would be with local small cafes. Single serving soups they can just micro-wave and serve are quite popular here.

But I have to agree with all the warning others have posted. Many of us here have learned the hard way that the state and county regs are never as simple as they might first appear.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I think I'll just can (pun intended) that idea! Thanks for the feedback! Nancy

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

There's a business local to the D.C. area called "Momme Meals" -- aimed at new mothers who don't have time to cook. It's mostly a few frozen soups, and also a couple kinds of muffins and a couple casseroles. I've ordered it for my parents before.

The owner's story is on the website. If you haven't totally canned the idea yet, maybe you could learn from them?