Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnpondr

Cheeseburger Soup Recipe ???

gardnpondr
12 years ago

I have a couple questions. If I am remembering right you're not suppose to use thickeners in canning and no no on the butter to right?

I am going to pressure can it and have already looked to see how long to pressure can it.

Thank you all for your help.

Did I miss something else?

Canned Cheeseburger Soup

4 lb hamburger, browned

1 cup chopped onion

4 cup shredded carrot

5 quart shredded potato

4 quart water

1 1/2 cup butter

2 1/2 cup flour

2 tsp basil

2 tsp parsley

3 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1/4 lb chicken base (look for MSG free bouillon)

Brown hamburger with onions.

Melt butter, add flour to make a paste.

Slowly add water and seasonings and heat.

Stir all ingredients together.

Place in jars.

Do not fill too full, as the raw vegetables will expand slightly.

Pressure can for 75 minutes at 11 lb pressure for quarts.

NOTE: (Checked the NCFHFP site and this is the time they said to process it for my weight)

To serve, add one cup of milk to each quart and heat. Can do the flour and butter here when ready to eat it.

Add cheese if desired.

Makes 10 quarts.

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

The 75-minute NCHFP time is for a soup which is half solids and half broth (per jar), no thickeners and no butter or dairy. So this recipe does not fit into that category.

You could, if you wished, can a seasoned ground beef to use in soup or you could make the soup base and freeze it, but the recipe as-is is not suitable for canning.

Also, 1/4 lb. of chicken soup base seems totally over the top. That's 4 full ounces and the salt load would be incredible.

That's just my take on it. Other members may have alternative insights.

Carol

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK thank you Carol! Yeah I was going to use a condensed chicken or beef broth and not the chicken base because I knew that would be loaded with sodium and I don't want that.

OH I also forgot to ask one of the questions I wanted to ask....why do they say not to use the thickeners?

Thank you again Carol!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

There are only a very few recipes tested with thickeners and soups aren't one of them. Thickeners change the density of the mixture, so it would have to be processed a lot longer to guarantee adequate heat penetration. By then the odds are good everything else in the soup would be totally over-cooked and unappealing.

For some things, even if it were safe, canning is just not optimal.

If you wanted to can a hamburger soup base with broth, carrots, potatoes, the dry herbs, you could do that. That base would be versatile and could be used for this soup recipe after opening or other minestrone- or chili- type soups.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

That is not a canning recipe at all. It is only for cooking.
    The flour also changes the ph level of foods, not only the density.
    I agree with Carol, you could make a base and pressure can that.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Not to mention all the butter!

What's the source of this recipe? Did it actually claim it could be canned?

Dave

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

gardnpondr, very smart of you to ask for other opinions on this soup - the flour and butter in this recipe should alert to it not being tested or approved for safety. Sadly, there are lots of examples to be found online that could mislead someone not familiar with food safety guidelines - please don't use sources such as this one. The author doesn't likely know how careless, but the density of the vegetable beef and chicken-corn soups on this site look frightening to me!

With my food processor and a couple of large skillets to brown, I could throw this burger soup together in 30 minutes anyway, freeze it if I wanted (and its high fat, high salt if thats important to you)...but I'd never can it.

Searching 'canned cheeseburger soup' brings up several hits leading to this entry:

Here is a link that might be useful: blogged canned soup recipe

• readinglady
    12 years ago

She seems like a very sweet women devoted to family and home and who could argue with that?

I think the most important line in her blog re the preserving recipes she's posted is Can at your own risk,, which she quotes frequently.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

I sent her an email from my work email. Hopefully she will remove the recipe from her blog, as well as not can this for her family.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Looks like that recipe came from a magazine?

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

But back to making Cheeseburger Soup. Yes - the woman on that blog did not can this correctly. But it is still possible to adapt this recipe and make it safe for canning.

You could brown up your beef with the onion, potato and carrots, then drain the grease. Fill your jars half way with the mixture.

Then in a separate pot, boil up your herbs and chicken/beef base in water or just boil up your herbs in stock. Then fill your jars with the liquid.

Then process per NCHFP instructions for soup.

Upon opening the jars, you can thicken with your roux and add milk and cheese.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Soups