Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

BBB green tomato pickle recipe

jennieboyer
9 years ago

I've got 20 lbs of green cherry tomatoes I plan to pickle. Can someone post the BBB recipe for these? Thank You!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You mean Bread and Butter recipe or dill or what? There are any number of pickling recipes one can use for green cherry tomatoes in the BBB not to mention all the pickling recipes at NCHFP that can be used for them.

Dave.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have done just one jar of green tomato pickle, by Lacto Fermentation. Started on 11/11/14. Now is getting ready. In a few days it needs to be kept in a cool place( like garage, refrigerator).
    It is easy and simple how to make it. Not any different from pickling cukes. Here is how:

-- dissolve 2 to 2.5 TBS of sea salt (pickling salt) in one quart of water. Use distilled water as chlorinated water will kill the bacteria that would do fermenting.

-- add pickling spices (your choice, conventional) ;; add any flavoring like dill sprig , few garlic cloves, Pack your jar with green tomatoes;; leaving a couple inches empty.

--Pour the brine until fully covers the tomatoes .
    -- you can put few marble balls in a clean zipper bag and put it on top, to prevent floating.

_ Mark , date : wait 2-3 days. You should see some white scum forming on top. Remove it once a day or so.. Then you will see some gases bubbling up. That is CO2.

-- You can put the lid/ring on the jar loosely so the gases can escape.
    -- in about 10 to 15 days the process should be almost done. It is like making wine. The older it gets the better it gets. You should be able to taste one at this point. Should taste like, well just pickle.

That is all there is to it this the old fashion old world pickling with out any acidification and/or BWB. However, at the end of process you might choose to add couple of TBD per quart. This will further help preserve longer and impart a more sour taste.

You can, of course , get recipes from many sources, if you wish but the principle of Lacto Fermenting is an age old know matter.

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave -

Great question! I'm interested in bread and butter, dill, and one with red pepper flakes for kick.

Also, what keeps the tomatoes from ripening in the jar? If I put in some tomatoes that are barely blushing, will they continue to ripen in the jar? Will they get soft? I've seen recipes for green tomato pickles and cherry tomato pickles. So would that mean I can probably mix in some that are just starting to ripen?

Thanks!

• matthias_lang
    9 years ago

Seysonn, what does TBD stand for?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seysonn, what does TBD stand for ?

%%%%%%%%%%%%

TBS = TaBle Spoon.
    ts = tea spoon

Seysonn

• matthias_lang
    9 years ago

"However, at the end of process you might choose to add couple of TBD per quart. This will further help preserve longer and impart a more sour taste."--seysonn

Okay then add a couple tablespoons of _what_ at the end of the fermentation process? Some sort of acid? Do people actually further decrease the pH of their pickles this way? If so, does the decrease in pH kill off the lactic acid producing bacteria?