Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone dehydrate eggplant?

Posted by mogardener z5MO (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 22:55

I have a copy of Preserving It Naturally published by the people who manufacture Excalibur dehydrators. There are directions for dehydrating eggplant but they admit that it's not the best preservation method. Unfortunately, our freezer is full.

Has anyone tried drying it? Did you blanch it first? Cut in crosswise or lengthwise slices? Cubes?

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone dehydrate eggplant?

I know that your freezer is full, but thought I would answer anyway.

I tried some, years ago. I cubed them and dried them in the oven. But I still put them in baggies and froze them. They took up a lot less space. It was better than fresh frozen in soups, much better texture.

o
RE: Anyone dehydrate eggplant?

Faced with an onslaught of eggplant this year and having frozen as much grilled eggplant as two fairly normal people can consume as baba ganoush in a year's time, I was casting about for other ideas when I read about "Eggplant bacon". Basically, you slice the eggplant thinly, salt and drain it, marinate it in a spice mixture and then dehydrate it. Lots of gushing reviews about how great this was for snacks and dips, but my verdict is less enthusiastic: for the amount of effort and electricity consumed, not worth the trouble. But if you'd like to try it, here's the link...perhaps your results will be more rewarding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant Bacon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here