Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are my food jars still safe ?

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 23:21

I read about the causes. about siphoning. But finally again last nite I pressure canned that pumpkin cubes....... about less than 5 minutes after removing from canner, I noticed one quart of the seven had several inches of water missing..... then this morning noticed most of them had some water missing. Did the hot pack... I did not notice it previously in the pints I pressure canned several days ago. and one of the quart jar failed to seal so I refrigerated that one....
like happened in some of my yellow and green beans and apples earlier in the season
so is the food still safe even though the top of the products are not totally immersed?
thanks all
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are my food jars still safe ?

Did you adjust your temperature much during processing?
Adjusting too quickly is one of the biggest causes of siphoning.

Deanna

o

As long as the food was processed at the current recommended time and temperature and the jars are well-sealed, the food is safe even if there has been siphoning.

But, if you're experiencing siphoning with a wide range of canned goods, the real issue is why it is occurring and how to prevent it.

Carol

o

Agree the food is safe. It may discolor but you can pitch that. But siphoning isn't normal and needs to be eliminated. That are many discussions here about it and how to eliminate it.

Dave

o

The problem is probably because I did not read that you left them in the pressure canner the additional 10 min. once the pressure is down to zero. You do not open the lid, just remove the weight or counterweight. Then, set the timer for another 10 min. That will help with the siphoning issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here