Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondiesc

Are My Lids Okay?

blondiesc
9 years ago

I canned spice apples tonight. I cleaned my new lids in the dishwasher, then let them simmer on the stove until I was ready to place them on the jars. When I took them out of the pot I accidently dropped a couple of them. I placed them back in the water and let them simmer for several more minutes. Did I do enough to make sure that I killed any possible germs picked up from dropping the lids?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Comments (11)

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thought I should add a little more info to my original post. I actually dropped the lids on the floor......I can be so clumsy! After simmering the lids the second time, I went on to process as usual and they did seal. Should I be concerned?

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

Blondiesc, I bet you will be just fine. Make sure to remove the rings for storage and keep an eye on them every once in awhile just to be safe. Then, enjoy the fruits of you labor throughout the winter.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

They are fine. Anything that will be processed in a BWB or pressure canner for 10 min or longer doesn't not require sterile jars or lids as the processing takes care of any problem.

Dave

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You have eased my mind!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

On my package of lids ( Walmartt brand, Mainstay) says wash them by hand (preferably) not in dishwasher nor in boiling water. But you can put the rings in dishwasher.
    The reason for this is that perhaps the seal material or the glue that is used might lose its effectiveness. So as log as they are clean that should be enough.
    I should remember not to putt them in dishwasher again.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The rings will rust more quickly if you put them in the DW. I always handwash lids and rings.

You don't have to simmer the lids at all, but after dropping them on the floor I'd rinse them off, if not give them a quick wipe with a wet (preferably soapy) cloth just in case. As Dave said, they don't need to be sterile if BWBing for 10+ min, but you don't want any specks of dirt, hair, etc. on them to get into the food or interfere with the seal.

• bookjunky4life
    9 years ago

Interesting! My grandmother always boiled everything--jars, lids, rings. I've never really done so, not wanting to use the extra electricity and space on the stove. I did boiled everything this year as much as possible, since I was trying to be more "perfect" with my canning. But I see that it's not necessary. Is this stated somewhere of authority so I can tell my grandmother with authority, rather than "they say..."

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

bookjunky- From the link below:

"Sterilization of Empty Jars

All jams, jellies, and pickled products processed less than 10 minutes should be filled into sterile empty jars. To sterilize empty jars, put them right side up on the rack in a boiling-water canner. Fill the canner and jars with hot (not boiling) water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Boil 10 minutes at altitudes of less than 1,000 ft. At higher elevations, boil 1 additional minute for each additional 1,000 ft elevation. Remove and drain hot sterilized jars one at a time. Save the hot water for processing filled jars. Fill jars with food, add lids, and tighten screw bands.

Empty jars used for vegetables, meats, and fruits to be processed in a pressure canner need not be presterilized. It is also unnecessary to presterilize jars for fruits, tomatoes, and pickled or fermented foods that will be processed 10 minutes or longer in a boiling-water canner."

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP- General Canning Information

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Ditto what Rodney has said. If pressure canned, or BWB for 10 minutes or more, pre-sterilizing isn't necessary. Anything processed less than 10 minutes, sterilize in boiling water whether convenient or not ;)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

My grandmother always boiled everything--jars, lids, rings.

While rings never had to be boiled, lids did for decades. But that too ended several years back when they quit using the rubber compound on them and switched to silicone. The box instructions then read to "simmer the lids" only, not boil as it could lead to failure of the sealing compound.

Now the lid compound has changed again so box instructions on the new products don't even require simmering UNLESS processing will be less than 10 mins.

Remind grandma that things change and NCHFP is considered the definitive source of home canning info. :)

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just looked this up the other day - apparently they changed the compound in 1969!! so the lids haven't needed boiling since then.

I haven't bought new Ball lids (bought GH this summer and they say simmer) lately so haven't seen the new instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Lids 101

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio