Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxbrown

Cranberry Marmalade

This is a delicious recipe. I substituted sugar for the honey and it was very nice. I'm not sure how much the cardamom influenced the flavor, but it smelled great while it was cooking:

http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/12/december-can-jam-cranberry-marmalade-with-dried-apricots/

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

The original recipe she used wasn't published as intended for canning so no processing instructions were given, she just made up her own. Plus it is originally a chutney, not a jam/marmalade, yet contains no vinegar as it normally would.

Is it a safe recipe to can? Probably since the onions are left out. But once again this particular source, as we have discussed in the past, takes some liberties with standard canning instructions that not everyone would fine acceptable.

Dave

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

The recipe is actually similar to the cranberry conserve recipe in the Ball Book that jeanwedding asked about. That recipe is 15 minutes of processing for sugar. I don't use honey so I'm not sure how much risk the honey adds.

You could easily take the Ball recipe, add the cardamon, leave out the nuts. And then you know you have a tested, safe, approved recipe.

But Dave is right. Just because it is a bunch of high acid ingredients doesn't mean you can just make up a processing time and call it safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: cranberry conserve thread

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I would not worry about that recipe in the least and would process it for the standard time. I agree with her designation of the recipe as a marmalade.

Honey is acid so it's not an issue and even improves the keeping qualities. However, in larger amounts it can interfere with the setting qualities; in this case that's hardly a problem as the cranberries compensate.

I've made a similar cranberry preserve which is a riff off a Helen Witty recipe. I used Cranberries, peeled (i.e. supremed) orange segments, allspice berries and cassia buds. It's an oven-baked preserve, so very low-key and easy for the season.

Carol

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Carol - overall I agree with you that this really isn't a high risk recipe. My "issue" is that this woman calls herself a canning expert, and has written a canning cookbook. So I would expect that she would spend a bit more time explaining why she felt this "cooking" recipe was safe to can, how she arrived at her processing time, and why it generally isn't safe to can "cooking" recipes.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I do understand and agree with your concern re providing a rationale for canning this. There are many many blogs out there presenting all kinds of canned formulas, some of which are downright frightening. An experienced preserver may know how to pick-and-choose but novices may mistakenly assume a recipe posted as "cannable" is safe when it may not be at all.

Carol