Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Cranberry Jalapeno Jam

singcharlene
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm reading the recipe that came inside the Sure Jell powdered pectin box for:

Hot Pepper Relish:

4 cups of prepared peppers (which calls for approx. 2 med green bell peppers, 3 medium red peppers, 10 large jalapeno peppers)

1 cup cider vinegar

5 cups sugar

Can I substitute half of the prepared peppers with 2 cups of cranberries?

So instead the recipe would read:

2 cups prepared peppers (I would use approx 2.5 bell peppers & 4 jalapenos)

2 cups dried cranberries

1 cup cider vinegar

5 cups sugar

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh and this is to be processed with one box of Sure Jell powder pectin.

I have to process my jars in a water bath for 25 minutes due to altitude!

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I wouldn't see a problem with fresh cranberries but I have doubts about dried. Dried cranberries will suck up every bit of that vinegar and you'll still have a very dry mixture with (probably) pH and density issues.

So if you can find fresh cranberries that would be much better. Or re-constitute dried ones and measure out 2 cups of the re-constituted berries.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Fresh cranberries have so much pectin I don't even think you'd need the Sure-Jell. How about something like a chutney or "salsa", that might be the consistency you're looking for? I don't see any recipes in Joy of Pickling, but maybe Small Batch (I don't have a copy)?

• skeip
    13 years ago

Small Batch does have a recipe, but it uses frozen cranberry juice concentrate, not fresh berries.

Steve

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

How about this "Cranberry Salsa" from NCHFP?

Spicy Cranberry Salsa

* 6 cups chopped red onion
    * 4 finely chopped large Serrano peppers*
    * 1 1/2 cups water
    * 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (5%)
    * 1 tablespoon canning salt
    * 1 1/3 cups sugar
    * 6 tablespoons clover honey
    * 12 cups (2 3/4 pounds) rinsed, fresh whole cranberries

*Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

Yield: About 6 pint jars.

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse 6 pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

2. Combine all ingredients except cranberries in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat slightly and boil gently for 5 minutes.

3. Add cranberries, reduce heat slightly and simmer mixture for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.

4. Fill the hot mixture into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Leave saucepot over low heat while filling jars. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.

5. Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations in Table 1. Let cool, undisturbed, 12-24 hours and check for seals.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Spicy Cranberry Salsa in a boiling-water canner.
    Process Time at Altitudes of
    Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
    Hot Half-pints or Pints 10 min 15 20

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all the advice and recipes.

I ended up making the first batch with the dried cranberries since I had them and they were the organic non sweetened cranberries that were a lot softer than Craisins; I just soaked them.

I bought some fresh cranberries and other ingredients to make a second batch from a recipe I found on this forum....Habanero Cranberry Jelly. I want to try the Habanero Gold one of these days too.

Thank you all again and happy holidays!

Charlene

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I missed the Hab Cranberry Jelly - can you post a link (or the recipe)?

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This recipe came from a post in 2009....

Here's what the post said with the recipe:

'I�d be happy to share the recipe. I will state however that it is not a 'tested canning' recipe (ie. from a food lab). It is a customized version of a similar tested recipe and has been vetted by some of the experts over on the Harvest Forum. Here you go.'

Habanero Cranberry Jelly

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper *
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion *
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

*note: you can adjust the heat by increasing or decreasing the pepper to onion ratio as long as you adhere to 1 cup total pepper and onion.

Procedure:
    Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    Simmer 15 � 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    Position lids as per usual instructions
    Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    Remove jars and allow them to cool
    During the cooling, periodically 'gently' invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe link

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Thanks - I wonder if you can omit the liquid pectin?