Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Got an early Xmas gift of a Pressure Canner...

brightm
9 years ago

...and I'm a bit scared. Talk me down. :)

I got a Presto 23 qt and a Ball Blue Book. I've never canned, but I've talked about wanting to. I've wanted a canning set up but this isn't what I had in mind. It was a very thoughtful gift and and actually I think now that I've done some reading, I guess I probably want/need a pressure one. But...

1) The pressure aspect scares me.

2) I have a Bluestar RNB gas range. I just read the manual online because I haven't opened the box yet and want to make sure I want it/can use it before I do. It says that it should be used on a burner no stronger than 12k. I've got 2-22's, 1-15, and only 1-9k. It's a simmer burner so the flame pattern is really tight. Is it going to be okay?

3) I worry about it taking up a ton of space in my kitchen (or somewhere). I'd thought I'd get something to go into an existing stockpot. (Though when I think about it, it'd probably take up just as much room).

4) I don't really know what I'm going to can. It seems so big. If I keep it, what would be good as a starter. All I have access to at my place right now is citrus. But I can hit a farmers market if there's something that would be good to work with in So Cal right now.

It seems like this model is a common enough item that if I determine it's too big or won't work with the stove, I should be able to take it back to one of the big stores and get credit.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly, given your fears and your lack of knowledge and experience I'd return it while it is still possible.

Pressure canning has a substantial learning curve that takes time and experience to master and by then it will be too late to return it. It isn't the way to begin learning to do home canning. First learn to do boiling water bath canning.

Keep the Ball book and start reading it as it is one of the 2 best sources of beginner canning info and it will help you resolve many of the questions you have and help you ID what things you want to try canning (citrus canning is limited due to the bitterness the heat can cause). Also check out NCHFP linked below as it is the definitive info source.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I would say, get yourself a pressure cooker ( 6 -8 qrt?) and do some cooking with it. Pressure canner is just a bigger pressure cooker, volume wise.
    Today's pressure cookers/canners , equiped with weight system are pretty safe and easy to operate. You can always adjust any burner (gas or electric) to desired heat output level.
    BUT doing actual canning is just a whole new ball game.

Seysonn

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I agree I should start with just some water bath canning. I have a few (read: too many) stock pots, so I think I could get by with just an insert/tray to go into them and the other misc. tools. I'll mostly make pickles to start. DH tends to buy the little, way-too-expensive pickled veggies. I'd like to put a stop to that.

Pickles, fruits, jams/preserves, and tomato stuff, I'm okay with just water bath, right? But if I start doing other stuff WITH the tomatoes, then I need pressure. Do I have that right?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Pickles (with sufficient vinegar), fruits (most but not all), jams/preserves (with a few exceptions), and tomatoes (if acidified properly) - yes, BWB is all you need. This assumes you use only approved and tested canning recipes, not personal untested ones.

All other vegetables, mixed vegetables, soups, anything with meat, etc. must be pressure canned (or frozen or fermented).

Pressure canning is nothing to be afraid of but you do need to know how the equipment works and what you are doing first.

Dave

• gardengalrn
    9 years ago

I feel your pain/indecision about your gift. My Nana cooked with a pressure cooker on a regular basis so I didn't have the "fear" of it as so many do but I sure had fear about making something safe for my family due to my incompetence with canning. I disagree somewhat with the others (who know way more than me), I would keep the gift and follow all guidelines and instructions from the canner manual and approved recipes. Yes, you can can many yummy things in the water bath and you should start there but you won't know until you try with the pressure canner. As Dave has said, Ball's Blue Book is one of the safe and approved sources for recipes, so try to follow them. There are a lot of sources online who have really yummy sounding recipes but they are NOT approved. Just because someone proclaims that their Grandma did the same recipe and nobody died from it....there has been research since Grandma's day and there is always that risk. I would like to encourage you to come here and ask questions. Sometimes you may get a response that you don't necessarily like (found a recipe you think sounds awesome but it is taken down here) but we are favored here with several experts who will tell it like it is. I appreciate safety above all. Don't be scared to try, is what I'm trying to say:) Lori

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company