Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Grapefruit ginger pepper glaze for pork, fish etc

corrie22
12 years ago

While I'm waiting on my grapefruit marmalade repair kit to arrive - I made syrup!

It occurred to me that this would make a great glaze for pork,ham, fish....

I'm going to leave some of it as syrup, but what to do?

I thought add some fresh ginger, add something hot like pepper flakes....

Can you guys help me with this? What would you do??

Thanks again, Happy New Year!

Corrie

Comments (4)

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, this thing has sat on the top long enough...
    ....I think I stumped you guys
    I'm going to reply so it will move down the list..

• readinglady
    12 years ago

It's a busy time of year.

Here's a recipe for shrimp that might provide some inspiration. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work equally well for chicken or pork:

Marmalade Shrimp

Makes 2 main-dish servings

Sauce:
    Ingredients
    �2 cloves garlic, pressed
    �1/3 cup orange marmalade
    �3 tablespoons soy sauce
    �1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    �1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    �2 tablespoons sherry or cooking wine
    �1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Shrimp:
    �3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil (divided)
    �1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    �4 green onions, sliced on the diagonal into 1/2-inch lengths
    �1 1/2-inch knob ginger, peeled and julienned
    �6 dried red chiles or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)

�Hot cooked rice

Instructions
    To make sauce: Mix together all the sauce ingredients (an empty jam jar works great for shaking this up). Taste, adjust seasoning and set aside.

To make shrimp: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry the shrimp just until they are almost, but not entirely, opaque. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and add the green onions, ginger and chiles. Stir-fry for a few minutes, until the aromatics are just beginning to color. Take the sauce, give it another shake to combine and add to the pan. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Add the shrimp back to the pan, cooking an additional minute while stirring to coat. Serve with hot rice.

From Deena Prichep

Here's an all-purpose glaze useful for many jams:

All-purpose Savory Jam Glaze
    Makes enough for 4 pounds of meat

Erin Meeker suggests the following meat/jam combinations: Pork -- fig, peach, plum, cherry, blueberry or blackberry; salmon -- peach, cherry, blackberry or blueberry; chicken -- peach, cherry, blackberry, blueberry or raspberry. Note that because of the sugar in the jam, the glaze may burn if applied on meats too early or cooked at higher temperatures.

Ingredients
    �2 teaspoons butter
    �1 shallot, diced
    �1 teaspoon salt
    �1/2 cup jam
    �1/4 cup red wine
    �1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    �1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard

Instructions
    Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Saut� the shallot until translucent, then whisk in the salt, jam, wine, vinegar and mustard. Simmer until thickened to a glaze and brush on meat before roasting; for a deeper glaze, repeat application a second time during cooking.

Erin Meeker

Also add it to salad dressing or stir it into mustard for a very simple baste.

Carol

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Carol!
    Those sound out of this world, and I just happen to have fresh shrimp on hand....

I divided the grapefruit marmalade up into two batches. One batch I added diced dried apricots and fresh ginger for a glaze. Even one of those stinking jars set/jelled on me!

The other batch I re-did with Pomona pectin and they all set this time.
    It's absolutely delicious! We ate a 1/2 pint tonight with cream cheese and crackers.

..now that I broke the code, I'm making tangerine marmalade tomorrow!

Thanks again
    Corrie

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Glad to help. I didn't realize when I copied-and-pasted that those silly extra characters would appear at the front. (Originally they were bullets.) Just ignore them. The numbers are correct.

Carol