Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Help! Herb infused vinegar, safe without BWB, etc?

Posted by aeleva USDA-9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 10:03

I found this recipe from whole foods online: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/herb-infused-vinegar

I haven't pickled anything before and whole foods seemed like a reputable source, so I used 5% acidity red wine vinegar and steeped thyme and orange zest for several days in a vessel that had gone through the high temp sanitize and heated dry cycle in my dishwasher.

After steeping, I poured this mixture with a new sprig of fresh thyme (washed but allowed to dry for a few hours first) and one clove of garlic into bottles that I put through the same dishwasher cycle with additional heated dry at 150 F in my oven until all water droplets were gone.

After reading some stuff about garlic in oil, and proper pickling techniques, I've gotten concerned that this might not be safe to eat because I didn't explicitly boil stuff before and after like in normal canning (which I have never done), but maybe that's no necessary because of the vinegar? The whole foods recipe didn't say anything about that. I was going to give these as gifts for Christmas -- are these safe??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Help! Herb infused vinegar, safe without BWB, etc?

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 11:48

Your vinegar is fine and would make a wonderful gift. Sorry if I answered too late.

Happy Christmas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flavored Vinegars and Oils-Colorado State Extension

o

What a great fact sheet! Thanks, Malna. I have been infusing goldenrod in oil for a muscle rub (supposed to be beneficial for reducing muscle spasms), but now I have concerns. It was never intended for anything except external use, but I know botulism doesn't have to be ingested to be dangerous.

o

Here's another document from Oregon State which I have found helpful. I like their sugar cube test for flavor.

Be aware that sanitize is not the same as sterilize and that infused vinegars can turn cloudy or develop molds, so sterilization is really a better way to go.

For convenience, I like to follow Carol Costenbader's advice and infuse the vinegar in a wide-mouth jar then filter and decant into any decorative bottle I'm using.

If I'm putting a fresh sprig or two of the signature herb into the bottle, I blanch it to reduce the likelihood of any impurities entering the vinegar.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Flavored Vinegars

o

I realize that the original thread concerned gifts, which have probably long been given by now. I make a lot of herbed vins to play with, and the Herb Guild I'm part of sells them for the Denver Botanic Gardens.

Putting sprigs of most fresh herbs in the final product will only look pretty for a short time, and can lead to possible mold issues once the herb is above the level of vinegar in the bottle. Strong woody herbs like rosemary, or things such as dried chilis will hold up, but putting a sprig of a tender leaf such as thyme or basil in the vinegar won't last long. The acidity will pretty much turn it pretty ugly pretty fast, and it can start to add a bitter flavor. I generally recommend storing vins without decorative kicks--they're so pretty anyway!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here