Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Mustard recipes for canning?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Ball Complete has 4 recipes, maybe I can delete sage and add an ounce of pineapple juice - possibly sub for the lemon juice - in the Lemon Sage mustard recipe (since it calls for 1/2C of honey already)? I was really taken by the Honey Pineapple Mustard in a HF's package DB sent my parents. Though that was a smooth yellow mustard so a recipe with dry mustard powder would be better than one using seeds.

Small Batch has some recipes (no pineapple) and they're for fridge storage.

So if anyone has any canning recipes for mustards (the Honey Pineapple esp., but a spicy brown whole seed one - maybe the Oktoberfest from Ball is a good one?) I'd appreciate it!

Comments (6)

• malna
    10 years ago

Linked below is an old thread about mustard - lots of recipes. Maybe you'll find one that can be adapted for your Honey Pineapple. I did see a Honey Pineapple Mustard salad dressing with these ingredients stirred into 3/4 cup mayonnaise. Might give you an idea of proportions:

3 tbsps yellow mustard
    2 tbsps honey
    2 tbsps pineapple juice
    1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tbsp white vinegar
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 dash salt (optional)

We made a cranberry mustard this year. Simply took a 1/2 pint of cranberry chutney and pureed it; then added some Billy Bee honey mustard and some Colman's mustard powder to taste. It didn't last long enough to worry about canning it :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Mustards

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - it seems (note in Small Batch) that water makes mustard really spicy but vinegar (and alcohol?) would make it mellower due to enzymatic reaction. I can experiment a little for our own use, just store in fridge but if I want to make some for gifts to faraway friends/family I will have to can them.

• KarenLiz
    10 years ago

If you are still looking for Mustard recipes there are a few here for an Oktoberfest Mustard as well as a Roasted Garlic & Lemon Mustard.
    I will also be posting one for Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish Oktoberfest Mustard

• ToulouseLePlot
    10 years ago

I've been designing mustard to attempt a better pairing with food. Now recall that our mustard in the UK tends to be hotter, more bitter than those I've typically found in the US, but here is a simple recipe, optimised for pork:
    2tbsp yellow mustard seed
    2tbsp black mustard seed
    put in a jar, cover with cider vinegar plus 1/2" leave at room temperature 3 days, check occasionally and ensure covered with vinegar plus 1/4".
    pour into beaker for use of a hand-blender.
    Add 2tbsp horseradish powder, 2tbsp coleman's mustard powder, 1tsp salt, juice of 1/2 lemon.
    Use hand blender until no whole seeds left and all looks combined. Add cider vinegar or mustard powder+ horseradish powder to get desired consistency. Seeds will give a speckled effect.
    Bottle and allow to cure in fridge for 3 days before using.

Want to be different? Try this one with a seared tuna steak.

Regrets to the original poster this has no reference to canning. Given the medium of cider vinegar (I use 5-8% acetic acid) and lemon juice. If the jars are sterilised does anyone have a qualified opinion on shelf-life?

• ToulouseLePlot
    10 years ago

I've been designing mustard to attempt a better pairing with food. Now recall that our mustard in the UK tends to be hotter, more bitter than those I've typically found in the US, but here is a simple recipe, optimised for pork:
    2tbsp yellow mustard seed
    2tbsp black mustard seed
    put in a jar, cover with cider vinegar plus 1/2" leave at room temperature 3 days, check occasionally and ensure covered with vinegar plus 1/4".
    pour into beaker for use of a hand-blender.
    Add 2tbsp horseradish powder, 2tbsp coleman's mustard powder, 1tsp salt, juice of 1/2 lemon.
    Use hand blender until no whole seeds left and all looks combined. Add cider vinegar or mustard powder+ horseradish powder to get desired consistency. Seeds will give a speckled effect.
    Bottle and allow to cure in fridge for 3 days before using.

Want to be different? Try this one with a seared tuna steak.

Regrets to the original poster this has no reference to canning. Given the medium of cider vinegar (I use 5-8% acetic acid) and lemon juice. If the jars are sterilised does anyone have a qualified opinion on shelf-life?

• Monique_CA
    10 years ago

The Lemon Sage mustard is fabulous! I made that one last summer as a demo for a Master Food Preserver class.