Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe fails-

Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 11:42

My latest waste of harvest was 10 large Hachiya persimmons. I was using the strained pulp to make persimmon jam from a recipe book. 4 cups of pulp, 1/4 c lemon juice, 6 cups sugar, 1 box pectin. Very standard.

What nobody mentioned, either on the internet or in the recipe book, is that when you boil persimmon pulp it immediately goes bitter and astringent. As in, totally inedible. But it was a very pretty orange and it set nicely! So now I have 7 half pint jars to give to people whom I do not wish to impress with my canning skills.

Let's share our recipe disasters so we can all avoid these blunders.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe fails-

Was the failure related to the boiling, or did you pick them before the first frost? Do you know if they were sweet before you processed them?

I've never eaten persimmons, but I know that you have to wait for the first frost to pick/eat them because they will be bitter or astringent. The cold is what sweetens them. We have plans to plant persimmon in the orchard we are planning. Sorry yours didn't turn out.

o

I had the same 'Failure' with Hachiya persimmons. The persimmons I used were at the mushy stage, and very sweet. After I attempted making the jam, I was told that Hachiya persimmons were unsuitable for making jam. I don't know if that is true, since I still see many recipes. All I can tell you is that mine was not fit to eat.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 19:32

Yes Jil, I grew up eating persimmons and I made sure they were ripe before I processed the pulp. But this was my first attempt at making jam from them, and there were a few internet recipes that were almost identical. None of them warned me about Hachiyas going astringent if you boil them.

Has anybody else made persimmon jam successfully, and if so, what type of persimmons did you use?

o

Did your pulp include the skins or had you peeled them? The peel is the primary source of the tannin than makes it bitter.

But most of the persimmon jam recipes I have seen call for freezing it, not canning, and that is how we make it with our wild persimmons.

Dave

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 10:30

They were peeled. Jam with peels, ewwwwww!

o

I'm pretty sure it is the seeds that make it bitter - at least it is that way with wine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here