Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrswaz

To Strain Or Not? Homemade Hot Sauce

mrswaz
11 years ago

My first batch of hot sauce has been aging for just over three months now. I followed a really simple recipe which I will post below. My question is whether or not the straining is necessary. Right now, it has an amazing appearance and fragrance. (I'm a little chicken to taste it straight up.) I have about 3/4 of a quart of sauce in a mason jar right now, and if I press it through a strainer, I suspect I'll have about half that amount.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just leave it as is? It reminds me of Asian chile sauces in appearance- with the seeds and tiny bits in it. I'm thinking the straining may be for asthetic reasons, or maybe for those who prefer a straight up tabasco-like sauce.

I followed the recipe exactly, only my 2 pounds of hot peppers were a fabulous blend of the hot peppers that were bright red and ready to use in my garden instead of cayennes and jalapenos.

Basic Hot Pepper Sauce

3 c Distilled white vinegar
2 lb Cayenne OR jalapenos Seeded and chopped
2 ts Salt

Simmer vinegar, salt and peppers at least 5 minutes. Process in processor. Store in a glass bottle. Put in a dark cabinet and let age at least 3 months. Strain when ready to use.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH