Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Strain Or Not? Homemade Hot Sauce

Posted by mrswaz Z5A NE WI (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 11:45

My first batch of hot sauce has been aging for just over three months now. I followed a really simple recipe which I will post below. My question is whether or not the straining is necessary. Right now, it has an amazing appearance and fragrance. (I'm a little chicken to taste it straight up.) I have about 3/4 of a quart of sauce in a mason jar right now, and if I press it through a strainer, I suspect I'll have about half that amount.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just leave it as is? It reminds me of Asian chile sauces in appearance- with the seeds and tiny bits in it. I'm thinking the straining may be for asthetic reasons, or maybe for those who prefer a straight up tabasco-like sauce.

I followed the recipe exactly, only my 2 pounds of hot peppers were a fabulous blend of the hot peppers that were bright red and ready to use in my garden instead of cayennes and jalapenos.

Basic Hot Pepper Sauce

3 c Distilled white vinegar
2 lb Cayenne OR jalapenos Seeded and chopped
2 ts Salt

Simmer vinegar, salt and peppers at least 5 minutes. Process in processor. Store in a glass bottle. Put in a dark cabinet and let age at least 3 months. Strain when ready to use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Strain Or Not? Homemade Hot Sauce

The advantages of straining hot sauces would be that you could put it in bottles with smaller openings, allowing a few drops at a time. It would also lose some heat by taking out the seeds.

But there is nothing wrong with spooning it onto food if you like the heat level, and would use it by the spoonful. Some of us do :-)

o
RE: To Strain Or Not? Homemade Hot Sauce

Thank you for your reply! I was just coming back to answer my own question, as I asked a community of hot-heads what they thought, and I was told that straining is purely for aesthetic reasons. If you want the sauce to be free-flowing, strain it. If you like it chunky, by all means leave it chunky.

It tastes great, by the way. It was so easy to make, it's instantly become a staple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here