Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemadecountrylife

Question: Can I Ferment Sauerkraut In This Pot?

Quick question, can I use this large Italian glazed pot to ferment my homemade Sauerkraut, as long as I add the weight to weight it down?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes assuming the glaze is in tack and lead-free. But as it isn't air-tight you'll want to use a ziplock bag of brine to seal it off from the air. Set it on top of the weight so that it fills the inside diameter. Otherwise the air will cause scum to develop on top.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information, Dave, I really appreciate it! I'll go check to see if the pot has any lead in it.
    I always double bag a brine to place over the top because I don't want my food or hard work to go to waste. I somehow had a pin prick leak the first time I made my kruat and I learned to double bag it every time after that.

Thanks again for your help.

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm back. I checked my kraut this evening and the liquid is really an unattractive yellow and the smell in the jar I have it in isn't offensive but it is off putting. Again it's not terrible but the way it's smelling is making me uneasy to check the kraut to see if it's done. What should I do? Toss it all or am I being a chicken?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yellow brine? Ok this is just a guess but perhaps the pot color glaze has leached into the acidic brine. If so I'd toss it. Can't think of any other reason for yellow brine assuming normal cabbage was used.

Have you done kraut before so that you know how it should smell? It isn't a great odor normally but it shouldn't be off-putting either.

The way to tell if it is done, assuming it has been more than the 7 day minimum recommended is to taste it. Taking a small taste and then spitting it out if bad sure isn't going to hurt you. But it's up to you.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for checking back in Dave. I didn't use the gazed pot, I ended up using a glass "crock".

I have made kraut before but it has been admittedly 4 years since my first (and last) batch. My last batch took me 23 days and I never had a smell with that one. I only started my kraut 7 days ago and it seems rather early to be having such a smell. I now can smell it as soon as I walk into the kitchen.

When I packed it I really squished it down, used sea salt, added coriander seed, and added clean, whole cabbage leaves on top of the kraut and then topped that off with a ziplock bag of brine to weigh it down. I can't think of what I did wrong, I was so careful about keeping things clean and doing it right. The only difference this time is I used organic cabbage this time around.

What are your thoughts, Dave?

This post was edited by homemadecountrylife on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 20:11

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

My thought is that it is the coriander seed causing the yellow color and the odor. Didn't know you added that. I never add mine until after the fermenting is mostly done and then in only small amounts.

It isn't a safety issue just an appearance and taste issue so that will be up to you.

Dave

• homemadecountrylife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great point about the coriander seed, I never thought about that maybe causing the yellow color & smell. I am following a "recipe" that a family gave me after I tried their kraut and loved the coriander seed addition instead of plain kraut.

Thanks for the tip on adding the coriander after and to keep it to small amounts. I'll gird my loins and give it a try tomorrow, why not, it's Christmas. Thank you for your advice, Dave. Merry Christmas!

• canfan
    9 years ago

I fermented Curtido which included cumin seeds. I reduced the amount called for in the recipe and am glad I did. I like the flavor so will be making this again. I used a quart of the ferment in a salad similar to the sweet sauerkraut salad and took it to a potluck. Those who love sauerkraut loved the salad. Here is a link to the recipe: http://fermentationrecipes.com/curtido/357

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH