Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric elements for canning

Posted by awm03 z6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 11:51

I need a raised electric coil for my cooktop. The recommended one is $66:

Maytag/Jenn air

But there are canning elements for Electrolux & Frigidaire cooktops that are around $20. The construction of them really doesn't look radically different.
Frigidaire

Are these designs really proprietary? Do manufacturers each have their own plug-in systems?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these and can tell me a canning element is a canning element is a canning element. Or whether I really do have to buck up & pay the extra $40.

Thanks! A friend gave me his mom's old 16 qt. Mirro, & I tried it last night. Needs a new gasket & my regular heating element isn't up to snuff. But when I fix those issues, looks like I've got an old gem. Nice, thick aluminum & shiny to boot! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric elements for canning

As long as the ends of the prongs fit it is fine. I think mostly they all fit other than GE stoves, that are hard to get to fit.
I know here the appliance store has the generic ones for about $28. Can you call and appliance repair store and ask ?

o

My Frigidaire cooktop came with the burners that you show for that model. I've used it two seasons for canning and the burners seem to be holding up fine. I don't use it for anything else though. They are noticeably heavier than what comes on most coil cooktops -

I have a AA 921 and a Presto 16qt - so neither are real big as far as canners go.

If you have a bigger AA Canner, you may want to spend the money on the first one. I believe it has stronger supports for the coils, but the coils are about the same.

Oh - I missed that you have a 16 qt Mirro. The cheaper style should do just fine for that one. You can't BWB qts, so you'll never get it all that heavy.

Here is a picture of my coil cooktop

o

Thanks for the responses. linda_lou, good idea about calling an appliance store. But I thought I'd try & ask here first: real life experience, no sales pitches, and all that!

macybaby, I find that my Mirro barely clears the cooktop control knobs (on the side like yours). Do you have that issue too?

o

I'll start a new thread with some other questions, but since this is related to burners and size I'll ask here. Macybaby, I love your canning kitchen!

I almost bought a small apt-sized electric range at Salvation Army for $30, thinking I could put it in the basement and use it for canning. Then I wouldn't worry about ruining my glass-top in the kitchen.

Does anybody know if there would be a problem with the burners being closer together (or smaller?) on a small range? I didn't measure how wide it was, but I'm guessing 24" instead of the standard 30"? I'd still like to be able to fit a preserving pan and a BWB or PC next to each other so I don't have to cook and fill upstairs, then run hot jars down to basement to process.

o

I have no trouble fitting both my canners on my cooktop. With the different heights, the presto 16 qt widest part fits under the AA 921's widest part. No problem with getting too close to the knobs either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here