Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

Why can?

berrybusy
14 years ago

The following article is the introduction from the Ball Brothers Book(let) "How to Use the Foods You Can" by Ira B. Allen. As you read, remember this is copyright 1924, as we all know, tastes and canning procedures have changed since then. I will mention however, this is NOT a canning instruction book. It is a booklet of suggested menus and recipes for those menus using home-canned foods covering the year from January through December. In my opinion, it's fun reading (at least for home-canners!)

I hope you enjoy!

THE CUPBOARD

The cupboard - well, its not bare - not housekeeping the Ball-way! ItÂs filled with shining glass-jarred vegetables - corn, string beans, succotash, beets cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, pickled carrots, tomatoes, rhubarb - all the Summer vegetables. Close by are peaches, pears, plums, spiced grapes, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries - in immaculate jars - ready to eat, or for combination with other foods; mustard pickles, piccalilli, chow chow, shredded cabbage, pickled pears, maraschino cherries, - with conserve, jellies, jams, marmalades and quince honey. Luxuries - ready to eat, that only those-who-can may enjoy!

"Mrs. Wiggs" turned a jar of peaches into a party. Pathetic? No! Wise Mrs. Wiggs realized that one jar of perfectly home-canned food lightened her whole meal. More than a thousand meals stretches our homemaking year. What a treasure a cupboard would be with a thousand Ball jars of canned foods upon itÂs shelves. Learn to can the season through, while cooking. A jar of pineapple, some uncooked canned strawberries, - cold-water processed rhubarb, - asparagus - tender carrots, - refreshing fruit juices, - the seasons through. But would that make a thousand jars, - and how would they be stored? What of the Fall, Winter and Spring months - of the empty jars that stand idle - the Fall and Winter foods that may be used to fill those jars? Apples, citron, cranberries, the last green peppers, cabbages, green tomatoes; fill the Jars emptied in October; in November, fill as fast as they accumulate with mincemeat, pumpkin and squash pie filling; in December, orange marmalade, chutney and apple cranberry jelly or cranberry conserve can be made for Christmas presents.

January brings opportunity to fill the empty Spring jam jars with prune butter, or dried peach preserve - and leisure to can Boston baked beans, chicken a la king, or delicious beef stew - for why cook the same thing over and over, when this way of preparedness keeps the Ball Jars filled on your shelves.

In February, prepare some dried pea soup for your empty jars - it will be delicious in late March and early April - housecleaning time is coming and the Spring sewing and every moment will count.

Early Spring, there you are - back again not to an empty cupboard, but to a cupboard containing enough out-of-season foods to enliven the Springtime menu - and which - because of the time saved - will make possible enough time for you to again begin the cycle and can in Ball Jars - in their own season, at the lowest market price - the foods for tomorrow.

Comments (3)

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love reading that! Makes me feel part of a historical movement -- even if I don't prepare and can all of those particular foods.

There's something very gratifying about a full canning cupboard, isn't there?

Kathy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Yes, there is something gratifying about a full canning cupboard, even if mine is in the basement, LOL. I often leave my canned stuff on the counter for longer than necessary, just because I like to see it.

There are the dilled beans, standing straight in their jars, the red peppers in the golden yellow corn relish, the jewel tones of the jams, ruby red strawberry, golden apricot, emerald green pepper jelly, the confetti colors of habanero gold, and my favorites, the homely pear preserves and apple maple, plain jane stepsisters waiting for someone to discover they are really Cinderella after all.

There's nothing like a homemade roll, straight from the oven, dripping with melted butter and spread with the summer's fruit, yum.

Plus I just read an article on what "food experts" refuse to eat and one of them was canned tomatoes because of whatever they line the inside of cans with. That expert suggested tomatoes in glass containers, so my home canned tomatoes fit the bill there too.

Love to can, love to be able to control what goes into my food. And I love the feeling that I'm all "stocked up".

Annie

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

What fun to read that bit! It made me think of my stepmother, who grew up on a farm where canning all through the sweltering New England Summer was a necessity if you wanted to eat vegetables and fruit during the long Winter. When I started canning, she got a kick out of me doing it, "for fun."

I am not the accomplished canner of some in this forum, but I've built up to having a couple of shelves full in my pantry. I love having our own jam, marmalade and jelly, they taste so much more like the fruit than any but the most expensive store-bought. I've discovered that I cannot like store bought pickle relish anymore and chutney does dress up different foods so nicely. This year I canned tomato sauce and barbecue sauce for the first time and am waiting for Feb/March when the craving for fresh tomatoes is making me mad to start those. (We just finished the last tomato from our garden the other day)

All of these things are wonderful to have on hand for little gifts. I take them to my clients, to hostesses at parties, to the occasional service person who has gone over and above for me. Bread & Butters and watermelon rind are very popular with folks a few years older than we, who remember the ones their mothers made. We make up baskets of my canned goods as prizes or auction items for charity events as well and they are always well received.