Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Help how much pectin in grapefruit marmalade

corrie22
12 years ago

This is the first time I've ever tried making anything like this...and I'm stuck!

I cleaned the skins, cleaned the fruit, brought it to a fast boil....and now it's sitting for 18 hours

I used the skins, fruit, and juice.

It will be ready to add a little water, the sugar, and pectin first thing tomorrow morning.

But I have no idea how much pectin to add!

I have Ball RealFruit Pectin, Classic Pectin, in the white and green plastic bottle...

...What in this world do I do now....LOL

Is there a general formula for where to start?

Something like 1 tbs pectin to each cup of marmalade?

...to each cup of sugar?

This was supposed to be Christmas presents, and I read it can take a while for marmalade to set up too!

Help guys if you can...

Thanks in advance

Corrie

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Most citrus marmalades don't require added pectin since they have enough natural pectin. But some recipes do call for it anyway to insure a faster set. Don't know which recipe you are using but if it doesn't list any in the recipe instructions you likely don't need any. But the odds of it setting before Christmas, even with added pectin are slim - more like 2-6 weeks for set.

The standard Citrus Marmalade recipe and instructions are linked below. How does yours compare? eg. how many cups do you have as that will determine how much sugar and how much pectin to add.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Marmalade instructions NCHFP

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Dave! How are you tomatoes doing? I still can't grow them down here during an El Nino year...

Thanks for this....I looked at several recipes, some called for pectin and some didn't.
    I'm at the sit for 12-18 hours stage right now, and don't really know what to do next.
    I started with 12 pink grapefruits, pealed, de-whited the peals, figured out it was faster to filet them like fish. Cleaned all the membranes off the fruit, put all the fruit, juice, and skins in a huge stainless dutch oven, and boiled it all. Probably about 8 cups just guessing.

I know I'm looking for the fastest setting recipe, and I don't want to end up with syrup or gummy bears.

Would you add something like I cup of sugar to 1 1/2 to 2 cups of grapefruit? If you don't want it too sweet?

But how much pectin??

Thanks, hope you had a great tomato year!
    Corrie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So this was a total fail so far......LOL
    I ordered Pomona pectin and as soon as it gets here, I'm going to remake it all...
    ..needs a lot more sugar than I thought it would too

But I'm learning and having fun with it!

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Sorry you're still struggling with this. Ball Complete has a recipe using 1 "large" grapefruit, after removing pith says to boil the peel for 10 min in water to cover "generously", then add 4C water, the segments and the juice, boil again 10 min then let stand 12- 18 hours. No pectin. Next day boil again about 15 min, then measure and add 1C sugar per cup of fruit, boil til gels, about 30 min.

Did you boil it til it sheeted? Smaller batches are better, too - try working with 4 to 6C at a time.

Ball also has a Lemon Ginger Marmalade recipe I've made that does use pectin, not sure how grapefruit compares, but 6 small lemons, 1/2tsp baking soda (not sure what that does or if you need it for grapefruit), 2.5C water, boil peel 5 min, add 1C lemon juice and segments (plus gingerroot), and 1 pckg powdered pectin, bring to boil, add 6.5C sugar(!) and boil hard 1 minute. This set up right away.

You might want to try remaking this with the pectin you have on hand tomorrow (if you have time), follow the directions for remaking a soft spread on the jar, basically whisk the pectin (about 4 Tbsp?) into some hot water, then bring to a boil, add it to 4C of your marmalade then add the remaining sugar (if you need to add more) and bring to a rolling boil.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Mama!
    I'm waiting on the Pomona pectin to get here this week. It's all canned so it won't hurt for it to sit and wait.
    If I'm figuring the Pomona correctly, you don't have to overcook the jam/preserves and use as much sugar.
    You can make it to taste first, then just add the Pomona to jell it.
    If that works it's a God's send to making jams and jellys.
    Thanks again
    Corrie