Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianlori

Do you Include both lid pieces when sharing?

CanadianLori
9 years ago

I have many friends that I share my canned jams and jellies with. The rule is if i do not get my empties back, they dont get refills.
Now i see many of the rings coming back rusted.
I know we are not supposed store with ring but my friends cannot possibly eat The whole jar at once and need to recap.
How does everyone else handle this type of situation?

Comments (12)

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

I take off the rings and put on a plastic cap (over the lid). Then I can keep the rings and they can either return the cap with the empty jar or not. I do mark the plastic cap with a sticker that says "reusable lid" and my name and tell them to recycle the lid as not reusable. Next time they get a jar without the ring they know they can use the cap again and I know that if they stash it in the pantry unopened it is sealed.
    Nancy

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I always give my jars away with the rings- because people rarely eat a whole jar of something in one sitting. I usually just write the whole thing off and never expect any of it back. I do have one person that returns the jars empty with no ring, and another that returns the jars filled with her canning goodness, including the ring. Fortunately, the one that gives back the jars filled is the one I give the most jars to. Since I've only been canning a few years, I've only given away 3-4 cases worth of jars between everyone.

I just figure since I don't store the jars with rings on, and only use the rings for actual canning or when the jars are in the fridge so I always have way more rings on hand than I actively use, it does not bother me to lose some rings. And I haven't had to buy rings yet, though I do regularly buy lids.

I'm also fortunate in that I live in a canning area, where cases of jars, lids and rings go on sale for BOGO a couple times of year, and stock gets clearanced off at the end of canning season because they want to make space for other seasonal stuff.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly I have so many extra rings accumulated over the years that I don't worry about it. If the ring makes it back in good shape - great. If not, no big deal.

Dave

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

I take off the rings and put on a plastic cap (over the lid). Then I can keep the rings and they can either return the cap with the empty jar or not. I do mark the plastic cap with a sticker that says "reusable lid" and my name and tell them to recycle the lid as not reusable. Next time they get a jar without the ring they know they can use the cap again and I know that if they stash it in the pantry unopened it is sealed.
    Nancy

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For heavens sake - I didn't know those plastic lids fit over the metal canning lid!

Thank you thank you thank you!

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

Yes, I include the ring. I just figure it into the "cost of packaging".
    I rarely get them back and always have plenty of extras so I don't worry about it.

I use lots of the plastic lids at home, but do not include them with gift items.

Deanna

• seysonn
    9 years ago

When you gift something (sometimes I do) do you expect to get the jar or ring back ?. I am talking about in a small scale. The jar may cost a buck but what I fill it with is more valuable in terms of my time and efforts.
    Well I guess I don't know the rules, b/c I do it not so often anyway.

Seysonn

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When it is a one time or special occasion gift, I figure the jar is gone. If it is someone who is a "regular" they know "no empty, no refill".
    I took a jar in to a friend on Sunday, with the lid and now a plastic lid. I explained that the jar return is still needed for refills and the plastic can come back too, or they can save it because there will be no more rings on refills.

I am so glad about this plastic lid fitting over the metal one- how cool is that!

Thanks again everyone.
    Lori

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Being one of those lucky gift recipients of other's canned goods I will be looking for plastic lids to cover the jars. Please will someone point me in the right direction?

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

Most grocery stores with canning supplies (including Wal-Mart) sell them in boxes of 8 for about $6 - $7. More costly than the rings at 75c to 87c each (per jar as opposed to what?) but it would depend upon to whom you are gifting them to decide if you expect them back or just forget about it. Besides, you can buy boxes of metal lids everywhere but there aren't any stores that sell just the rings (a few on-line places sell rings only but they are gold colored at a minimum or a gross so they don't "match" the lids for the esthetics (ah shoot, does everyone expect perfect?????). For sales at the farmers markets where I sell, they expect that the rings are included but I offer to sell them the 50 cent reusable plastic cover for repeat sales/use in addition. However, I tell them they can get a free cookie if they return the jar and rings for my recycle. Of the thousands I sell I get back maybe 20%. I do so wish that my local garbage dump (a.k.a. landfill or "county convenience center") would let me dumpster dive in the glass recycle bins.
    Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic Storage Lids for Canning Jars

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thank you, Nancy, for the information and the link which lets me see how the reusable plastic lid looks. Hmm, I may even have one or two of them.

This thread reminded me to take some jars and rings to my cousin-in-law when we see her next week. Thanks all.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 20:58

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I watch at Goodwill. They used to sell jars for 50 cents each. Now, they're usually 99. Occasionally, they'll have either a ring or a white plastic lid on them. If they have the ring or lid, I'll buy them since they don't upcharge for those options. If it's just a jar, I usually don't buy it unless it's an 8 or 12 ounce jar that's less than 99. It does happen. Once in a while they're boxed in bulk for less and I like those deals. I know it's a charity and I have to keep telling myself that. But they do have some nice stuff now and then.