Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Questions regarding homemade dry seasonings.

soilent_green
12 years ago

Hello all - hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Experienced gardener new to making homemade culinary seasonings. I dehydrated and ground up/flaked a bunch of herbs, garlic, onions, celery, horseradish, chili peppers, etc. with the intention of making my own dry seasoning shake mixes.

Now that the project is finished, a couple of questions come to mind.

Question #1: I was wondering the best way to properly store my bulk seasonings long-term so they will stay fresh, so I can restock my spice rack as needed during the year. Is vacuum sealing and then storing the sealed bags in the freezer the best method? If it is the best method, will there be a problem with moisture damage or clumping when a bag is thawed out for use?

Question #2: Is it better to dehydrate and store unground, unmixed ingredients, versus dehydrate, grind, and store unmixed ingredients, versus storing the dehydrated, ground, and mixed finished product? Do any of these methods make any difference? I am just concerned about the possibility of one ingredient (garlic for example) overpowering the other ingredients of a mix during storage.

Question #3: How do dry seasonings "spoil"? How do I know when they are no good anymore? What is the life expectancy of homemade seasonings with no preservatives? Can they go rancid or does flavor simply diminish, or other?

Question #4: As a general rule I minimize the use of salt, but I wouldn't mind having one seasoning mix that includes some salt (and black pepper - kind of a "one shaker does all" kind of mix). Are there any issues regarding storing seasoning mixed with sodium? Maybe it would be best to just add it when resupplying my spice rack?

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

-Tom

Comment (1)