Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Brokenbar Oil Packed Tomatoes

skeip
12 years ago

I tried contacting you through your page, but it came back undeliverable, so I hope you see this.

I got your recipe for the Oil Cured Tomatoes from the Harvest forum a while ago, and tried it out finally this past summer. I had an abundance of paste type tomatoes, so I dried them according to your instructions, then followed you recipe to pack them in oil. I'll admit, I thought all the acidification was a bit much, but followed your instructions carefully. The one point I wasn't real clear on was how tightly to pack the jars, so I went on instinct, and pressed them in pretty tightly.

I had some dried tomatoes in the freezer that had been there for quite a while, and thought what the heck, thawed them, used your technique and they are as good as the rest. There were even a few yellow tomatoes that went in the jar, not as pretty, but just as tasty. Also, the color is amazing, such a deep garnet red, I think that must be from the red wine they absorbed.

I packed 6 pints of them, and as the jars stood, the red wine and the oil separated, as you would expect, so every few days I would flip the jars, just to keep things better mixed. Well, I finally opened a jar this past Sunday and used them to stuff some chicken breasts. They are without a doubt the best I have ever had, just as you said in your post. I have given some to one of the chefs that I work with and he agreed that they are a superior product, and asked me for the technique. I hope you don't mind that I shared it, but it is too good to keep to myself!

So, thank you for a brillliant recipe. It is one that I will use for a long time, and always give you credit!

Steve

Comments (7)

• breasley
    12 years ago

She moved to Mexico last year but still posts at T-ville.com occasionally. I was concerned about her "moving to Mexico" but she seems to be doing fine. She made some posts at TV in September. I agree with you on the sun-dried tomatoes.... she is a wealth of knowledge.

• brokenbar
    12 years ago

Sorry to all. Was on vacation for 45 days.(Morocco!!!) And I don't have the same email (need to go into Harvest Forum and change that!)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I have had several people who were skeptical until they tried the method/recipe themselves...

Over the years I have tried several other methods but none came close to this recipe. Share the recipe all you want. As I said previously, I give these as xmas gifts and I missed a year due to our move to Mexico and my Family and friends whined for months!

• cabrita
    12 years ago

Where can I find this recipe? we grow a few tomatoes, some just for drying.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Here's one of the earlier threads.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Brokenbar's Dried Tomatoes

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Brokenbar, Would you please post your entire list of good paste tomatoes for drying?

Also, have you grown Borgo Cellano or Christopher Columbus?

DarJones

• brokenbar
    12 years ago

Top 20 for Drying (D)-Sauce(S)-Salsa (SA) IMHO

This is how I use them but most can be used all three ways

Chinese (D)
    Federle (D)
    Opalka (D)
    Dinofrios German (D)
    Romeo (D)
    Zapotec (D) (SA)
    Big Mama (D Stabilized F8 )
    Venetian Marketplace (D-S)
    Nile River Egyptian (D)
    Russo Sicilian Togeta (D-SA)
    Costoluto Genovese (S)
    Costoluto Fiorentino (D) (S)
    Giant Pepperview (D)
    Nicks (D)
    Amish Paste (D)
    Super Italian Paste (D)
    Chico Grande (D-S)
    Seaches Italian (D)
    Joes Plum (D)
    Goldman's Italian American

I want dry, dry, dry, few seeds, big, meaty. I prefer tomatoes that are more twangy than sweet for drying.

I was asked about:

Borgo Cellano-too many seeds
    Bisigano #2 Not great production overall
    Columbus-I have not heard of or ever grown

You will notice I do not list the touted "Ultimate Drying Tomato" Principe Borgese. Small, seeds up the wazoo and determinate sums it up.

Most heart tomatoes make decent drying tomatoes but it boils down to a matter of taste, production and size for me.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

save this post bump