Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Brokenbar Oil Packed Tomatoes

skeip
12 years ago

I tried contacting you through your page, but it came back undeliverable, so I hope you see this.

I got your recipe for the Oil Cured Tomatoes from the Harvest forum a while ago, and tried it out finally this past summer. I had an abundance of paste type tomatoes, so I dried them according to your instructions, then followed you recipe to pack them in oil. I'll admit, I thought all the acidification was a bit much, but followed your instructions carefully. The one point I wasn't real clear on was how tightly to pack the jars, so I went on instinct, and pressed them in pretty tightly.

I had some dried tomatoes in the freezer that had been there for quite a while, and thought what the heck, thawed them, used your technique and they are as good as the rest. There were even a few yellow tomatoes that went in the jar, not as pretty, but just as tasty. Also, the color is amazing, such a deep garnet red, I think that must be from the red wine they absorbed.

I packed 6 pints of them, and as the jars stood, the red wine and the oil separated, as you would expect, so every few days I would flip the jars, just to keep things better mixed. Well, I finally opened a jar this past Sunday and used them to stuff some chicken breasts. They are without a doubt the best I have ever had, just as you said in your post. I have given some to one of the chefs that I work with and he agreed that they are a superior product, and asked me for the technique. I hope you don't mind that I shared it, but it is too good to keep to myself!

So, thank you for a brillliant recipe. It is one that I will use for a long time, and always give you credit!

Steve

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!