Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sauerkraut with cider or apple juice?

Posted by celticgarden z6b CT (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 14:01

I saw a youtube video of a woman who made saurkraut using cider (or apple juice) as a liquid. I don't want alcoholic kraut but, using a jar with an airlock I made kraut then left it sitting with the airlock. The top layer of juice evaporated. Kraut is still good (well, I tossed the dried up layer). I know that if I add a quantity (say 5%) of apple juice I might start fermentation but it's in the fridge now....anyone ever use apple juice/cider as part or all of the liquid for fermenting kraut?

This is my first time making kraut. I tasted it last night and it tasted good but salty. I used purple cabbage, shredded carrot and green apple. The very salty-ness of it could mean that alcohol yeast couldn't make it....maybe the lactic bacteria would like the juice?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sauerkraut with cider or apple juice?

anyone ever use apple juice/cider as part or all of the liquid for fermenting kraut

Since no added liquid is needed for fermenting kraut - the cabbage makes its own liquid in the process - I never use either, not even water.

Come time to jar and process (can) if you don't have enough liquid you can just make up extra brine (boiled and cooled brine is 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt per quart of water). I suppose you could use either cider or hot apple juice at that time instead of the brine.

But if used during fermentation I'd think the extra sugar they contain could cause problems with excess bacterial growth. JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Making Kraut

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here