Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Traditional red beans from Colombia?

My wife is from Colombia SA, she say's that the red beans that we have on the grocery store shelves here in the USA aren't the same type?

I went to a Colombian store and they had the same beans, both are Goya brand.

Does anyone know what the difference would be? She said that they are smaller in Colombia.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Possibilities are Azuki (aka Adzuki or Asuki)), Bolita, or Mexican Red Bean (aka Small Red bean).

Dave

• teauteau
    9 years ago

Hi Wertach,
    Bola roja, cranberry(cargamanto) and sangre de toro (bull's blood). I've never had the bola roja before, cranberry, you can occasionally find in the US in specialty stores and organic food stores. The beans are smaller than pintos but close to the size of red beans. Some Columbians will use kidney beans in their cooking but these tend to be starchy and chalky compared to the Columbian beans. If you're interested, I know Vermont Bean sells cranberry beans to grow. I didn't check the other varieties. I've attached a URL for a company that specializes in beans for Latin dishes. Goya sells cans of cargamenta red beans but it sounds like that wasn't the type your wife was after. Did your wife try the Goya brand beans? Anyway, check out the link below and look for Sangre de Toro beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rancho Gordo

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

Look up Anson Mills down near the coast of SC and check out the peas that they sell. Sea Island Red peas are what the original Hoppin John was based on instead of black eyed peas we all use nowadays. They're an African thing that's still big in the Gullah Geechee diet. Generically, they might be referred to as rice peas since they're so small. They have a picture on their website. Looks like smaller version of black eyed peas that are reddish instead of whitish.

I tried to get some to grow last spring and they directed me to someone in Clemson Extension who said he would send some but never did. I pestered him a few times and then quit.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, she did try the Goya brand beans, she said they are Mexican style and not the same. I agree, they are just plain old red kidney beans. The same as any other brand around here.

The beans they use in Colombia are also Goya brand, but are a little smaller and more round, not kidney shaped. After thinking about it, I kind of remember them when we were visiting her family.

I didn't pay too much attention because her Dad had been giving me shots of Aguardiente, the national booze........ It tastes like Yeager, but more kick!

I think they are grown in Colombia, because we saw a lot of large, trellised bean fields. And her Dad said that they were frijoles rojos growing in them.

I asked her Mom to send me a few of the dried beans the next time she ships something or comes to visit. She is coming in March.

Chris, I looked up the picture and she said that they are bigger than those, I agree.

• richard_8b
    9 years ago

Try Baker Creek seeds, look for columbian marble bean, aka bola roja beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: beans

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My M.I.L. shipped me a big bag of beans a week ago.

They do look a lot like the Colombian marble bean that you linked to Richard!

I cooked some and she said OMG! Perfect!

I'm saving the rest to grow this spring.