Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jerusalem artichoke relish

Posted by timothina none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 14:24

Hi. My husband and I grew three Jerusalem artichoke plants this year. We just harvested one plant and no longer have room in our fridge! Any advice on canning them? For some reason, I thought there was an artichoke relish recipe on the nchfp webpage, but I couldn't find it. They have pickled artichokes, and I wonder if anyone had tried them.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jerusalem artichoke relish

I suppose you could use any of the approved straight vinegar relish recipes and sub the artichokes for the cukes or peppers or such with no problems. Just don't dilute the vinegar. With straight vinegar brine there aren't any pH issues to worry about.

You just have to be careful to NOT over-pack the jars - to keep it somewhat sloshy - to avoid any density issues.

Dave

o

Thank you! I will be careful to keep it sloshy. After (too much time) poking around on the internet, I found this one:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sunchoke-pickle-relish
It says they had tested it in their test kitchen.

o

Potential density problems with that one. It uses 1/4 cup flour plus dry mustard and prepared mustard both of which have additional thickeners. They may have "tested it" but that was likely for flavor not processing safety. Hard to know for sure if 25 mins BWB is sufficient. Probably is but no way to know for sure.

Since it is straight undiluted vinegar I'd be comfortable with the 2 mustards added but I'd leave out the flour. I'd add it after opening the jars or use Clear Jel (the only approved thickener).

Or you can make it and freeze or refrigerate it.

But canning it is your choice as not "technically" approved.

Dave

o

Thank you for your advice (and saving us from who knows what). If I decide to make it, I will use Clear Jel instead.
I think I will try something else. How does this chutney look?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2011/nov/09/jerusalem-artichoke-chutney-alys-fowler

o

timothina - I don't know whether your soil freezes solid in the winter, but JAs don't need to be harvested until you want to use them. They wrinkle fast unless kept in a plastic bag in he fridge or in an old fashioned earth clamp. In fact they keep better in the ground than out of it. If your ground doesn't freeze just dig as required. If it does cover it with leaves or something to stop it freezing. No further problems with an overflowing fridge.

Note that Alys Fowler is writing for UK audience and that we do not can jams and chutneys. Your compatriots might not approve.

o

My artichokes last for weeks under refrigeration in a plastic bag. I like them raw. However, I limit my daily consumption to 2 ounces so that I do not have a major flatulence problem.

o

Hi Flora. I live in Michigan, so the soil certainly does freeze solid. I am moving to Maryland, though, at some point, and will keep your tip in mind.
Just tried my first bit of a root and will see how I react!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here