Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double batch of jam without pectin?

Posted by ekgrows (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 15:00

I know that doubling jam / jelly recipes is not recommended due to the fact that it might not set properly. Does that count for recipes that do not use pectin? I was hoping to make a raspberry, strawberry, and peach jam using the following recipe as a guideline:
* 2-2/3 cups finely chopped peeled peaches
* 1-1/2 cups crushed fresh or frozen raspberries
* 3 cups sugar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice

I have all the fruit frozen, so it might turn out that I have a bit more - say 3 cups peaches, more raspberries, etc. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double batch of jam without pectin?

That would make a nice sauce, but even with NOT doubling it, I doubt it would set. Freezing breaks down the pectin, peaches don't have much and with using half as much the raspberries as peaches so they won't help much ((esp. after freezing). Raspeberries aet up OK on their own but I always end up with peach preserves (OK, I do like a loose set so I don't cook them a long time) rather than a thick jam.

o

It isn't just that it may not set properly; it's that by the time the mixture has been cooked down to the proper set point the preserve has lost a lot of its fresh flavor.

You have basically 7 cups of product in the original recipe (fruit and sugar). Doubling would be 14 cups and 3 1/2 quarts of product is just a lot to deal with.

As mentioned also, both the raspberries and the peaches are on the lower end of natural pectin, so even optimally this will fall naturally on the softer-set end of the spectrum.

Carol

o

Thank you both. I was hoping to avoid pectin, but I did end up using it. I had a bulk package of pectin with very basic guidelines in it. Wish i would have gotten bulk pectin in the past! it basically said for 2 jars of jam, use 1 2/3 cups of fruit, and 1 to 1 2/3 cups of sugar. So - i was able to come up with a solution to using the odd amounts of fruit i had on hand with a relatively low sugar to fruit ratio. It set great, and turned out awesome :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here