Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about re-canning jelly

Posted by laurenn0746 none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 15:03

I made about 20 half-pints of raspberry wine jelly a few weeks ago for my coworkers. In my first batch, I forgot to scrape off the foam. The other 2 remaining batches, I took most of it off. I just opened up one of my jars and there is a small layer of foamy, tiny bubbles on top. Of course it is not particularly attractive........ and I don't want anyone to think it's mold or unsafe to eat. Can I combine the prepared jelly in a pot, reheat it and re-can it after straining off the foam this time? Or is it too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about re-canning jelly

I'm not sure about re-canning, but next time, add just a small bit of butter as it is boiling and that will help to get rid of the foaming, You will have very little, if any, to scrape off.

o

I'd be worried that doing what you propose would break the set of the jelly and then all you'd have to gift would be syrup. Best to just explain the foam and how to skim it off. It is a natural part of the process after all and doesn't affect the flavor or over-all quality.

Dave

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 22:40

I wouldn't try to reprocess it either. The taste will be fine as is, and I think most of us can recognize a little harmless foam at the top of the jar. They'll enjoy it even with a minor visual flaw....better that than risk your product, not to mention the extra steps.

o

morz8, I would disagree about recognizing it. While most of US (that make jelly would), but most of everyone else wouldn't.

Explain.

o

Perhaps you could just take it off each jar with a very small spoon without removing the contents, then reseal in the waterbath. It's fiddly work but worth it.

o

People have forgotten what homemade food looks like. Just label it "Snowtop Raspberry Wine Jelly" and pretend it's the latest in nouvelle cuisine.

Carol

o

Great idea Carol. I labeled my strawberry jam that the fruit floating as "strawberries on top" .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here