Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
interestingtimes

Pressure Canning Different Size Jars

interestingtimes
14 years ago

Hello All,

and thanks for answering in advance. I've been reading GardenWeb for a while but this is my first question.

I just taught myself to can this year and have been successfully WBC and PC for the past few weeks with no problems so far (thanks to a lot of time on GW). However, last night I pressure canned two recipes: hot spicy carrots and chicken stock, and this morning two of my jars didn't seal, one carrot and one stock. I know that I need to reprocess fully with in 24 hours but my problem is that the carrot jar is a pint and my stock is a quart.

My question is: can I pressure can two different jars of different sizes together? Or do I need to go through the whole process twice with a single jar in the canner each time?

They both need 10lbs of pressure, the carrots for 25 minutes and the stock for 30. If I do both at the same time for 30 minutes, would that be a problem?

Actually, I had this question last night, too, as I made two different sizes of carrots- pints to gift and quarts to keep- and I was wondering if I could process them together. I ended up doing the pints together and then combining the quarts of carrots with the quarts of stock, since their processing times/pressure was the same.

Has anyone canned this way: different size jars of the same recipe canned together for the longer time?

Thanks again for you time and answers.

-e.

Comments (6)