Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry jam discoloration

Posted by jammin_mom OREGON (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 17:22

Hello,
I'm new here and have looked using the search engine and just couldn't find the help I need for my problem. I canned many jams this past summer and the only one I seem to be having problems with is my strawberry jam. It has discolored. I used the reduced sugar method(not Pomona) and used the WB(boiling water bath) for 15 minutes in 8OZ jars. First is it safe or should I throw them out? I see no white mold, only the gray/brown of the fruit. The lids are sealed. This is very disappointing and such a waste of money that I don't want to make the same mistake next season. Please help me.
Thanks,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry jam discoloration

I think it has something to do with the sugar content. Sugar is a preservative just like salt is. One time I used a reduced sugar recipe and it did the same thing. I did about 60 jars this summer using the full sugar recipe and all mine are very bright and red. 15 minutes seems too long, I only do mine for 10 minutes.

Hope this helps
Diane

o

Strawberry and raspberry jams are prone to discoloration. The rate of color change (i.e. browning) can vary depending upon the variety. So speaking of strawberries, a jam made with Tiogas will discolor much more quickly than a jam made with Hoods. (Hoods have higher levels of pigment and ascorbic acid.)

Exposure to light causes browning; adding a pinch of ascorbic acid to the fruit and storing the jam in a dark closet with no extremes of temperature will assist in color retention.

Carol

o

Was wondering if the entire jar is discolored or just the top? How much head space?
I made low sugar strawberry jam, have no idea what variety, they were excellent fresh and I wanted to use up and not freeze.
I have those stored in the kitchen pantry, closed doors. Processed late August 2008, no color change.
The only discolor I have is from some peach pancake/waffle jam made in 2007 the tops are a bit darker about 1/8th of an inch. Checked last years red raspberry jelly and that is as clear and red as the day I processed it.

o

The addition of some Ascorbic acid will help reduce the darkening of strawberry jam. Lower sugar can mean quicker spoilage. Instead, I use no sugar and use Splenda instead with maybe a little honey. I add some acid blend to the jam, then taste before its poured into jars. The acid blend is a 1/3 mix of citric, malic, and tarteric acids. Quite acidic!! It helps to boost flavor of most any fruits when they are cooked and sweetened with a pectin added. For me, it adds 'character' to an other wise overly sweet jam or jelly. I like the fruit tartness to also come though and thats why I use it in my jams. The strawberries can also turn brown if they were cooked too long or were scorched while boiling. I add ascorb acid to my apricot preserves too and it helps keep that nice bright orange/yellow color. Adding about a half a teaspoon of teh acid blend per 5 cup batch will definately make it a bit more sour. Suggest that you start with 1/4 yeaspoon in the batch first, and then add a little more to your taste preference. I don't like cloyingly sweet jams or jellies. The supplier below also sells citric acid too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acid Blend

o

I've found that Strawberry and red raspberry jams need to have lemon juice added... about 1 Tablespoon per 10 ounces. Also, strawberries do much better as freezer jams; cooking does strange things to strawberries... at least I think so.

o

We did a huge batch of strawberry jam a few years ago, when the local grocery store was practically giving them a way due to some imported-strawberry-sick-people issue and they had stacks of boxes rotting on the shelves.

The jars, stored in a dark room, discolored over time. The contents are still good, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here