Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Safely keeping sourdough starters?

John__ShowMe__USA
13 years ago

Was feeding my four diff sourdough starters today and got to thinking about possible dangers of keeping starters for years on end. Mine are kept on the watery side and I feed them monthly with 2 parts water to 1 part organic, unbleached flour after pouring off the hooch and maybe half of the more solid starter. I keep them in a special fridge with my drugs and kefir cultures at 41 degrees until want to use them. One of the starters had a somewhat dark-colored hooch and did not have the characteristic sweet/sour smell of an active culture.

Any advice for keeping sourdough or kefir cultures appreciated.

Comments (8)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

If it gets moldy, it's probably spoiled and should be thrown out. If it doesn't taste or smell good, it may not be harmful, but why keep it?

But as a rule, it probably won't be harmful if it's the kind of microbes that make alcohol as you mention.

Starter can be preserved by freezing or by dehydrating it. Both methods work.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

> Starter can be preserved by freezing or by dehydrating it. Both methods work.

Yes, I agree & have done both. Dehydrated is the way I got all my sourdough and kefir starters. The dark hooch (alcohol) really freaks me out. When I share I usually send in small pill vials here in the states. For foreign countries I dehydrate.

> If it doesn't taste or smell good, it may not be harmful, but why keep it?

Agree again.

Thanks!

• beesneeds
    13 years ago

When I was still in school our bakery instructor had a five gallon bucket of starter that she had been keeping for about 12 years. She just kept is sealed up unless it was time to feed it. When she pulled some for using, she was always scrupulously clean about it.
    One of my co students told us about a coworker of his at the bakery he was interning at.. The guy accidentally killed the starter by touching it with his unclean hand while feeding it. The owners were furious, it was a 30 year starter, one of their older ones.

I've heard of freezing starter before.. but how do you dehydrate it?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

> I've heard of freezing starter before.. but how do you dehydrate it?

I place a sheet of Saran Wrap over a plate and pour a thin layer of active starter on top & put in the dehydrator at lowest temp setting can get by with. Keep checking to see if can peel it off the Saran Wrap and turn over for final drying. Crumble into flakes, dry a little longer & vac seal in small pkts. And I think is best to store the pkts in the freezer until ready to use.

Got my first starter at the below link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl's Friends

• mawma
    13 years ago

I have my starter on my kitchen cabinet in a jar. I use it usually once a week, but have gone longer. I have found that my does better if I use potatoe water when I feed it. My doesn't like tap water. So i keep some of the water that I have cooked potatoes in. Even if you don't use it, you can still keep it just take some out if you want to or just feed it. Don't use metal anything on it. I have a wooden spoon that I use or have used a rubber or plastic one. I also have a starter that I keep in a small jar. It is from when I make biscuits. I take one of the biscuits & put it in my jar. The rest I bake of course. Then when I make biscuits again I put filtered water in the jar to let it make a liquid and add that to my mixture. My grandmother would just that a piece of dough & put it in her mixing pan that was full of flour cover it over with flour till the next day when she made biscuits again. I have so much fun with my starters, because you are taking care of a living thing and it gives back to you. There are several books out on sourdough starters and recipes for using it. My starter is one that you can make from scratch if you happen to lose it. I will be glad to share it with anyone who would like. Also have how to start your own Amish Friendship Bread so you can have it whenever you want it.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I have Carl's starter too. Kind of fun since it was supposedly started not too far from me.

I just air dry mine. Same process as john, just without the dehydrator. If spread very thin, it dries fast (overnight). Stored in the freezer because I tend to go in fits and spurts making sourdough bread.

Deanna

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Dark hooch is OK....pink or orange isn't......I just keep mine on the counter or in the cabinet.........but I dry them also as above just to insure a continual starter.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, all! I feel better about storing & feeding the 'watery' sourdough in the fridge for long periods of time now. Still wondering about the Kefir. It can take many months & feedings to get the desired large curds. I don't feed with raw milk, but if had milk cows or goats would be tempted. Was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease over 35 years ago & find Kefir to be a great digestive aid.