Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peeling Hubbard Squash?

Posted by kriswrite zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 18:55

I was given two large Hubbard squash - something I've never eaten or prepped before. I halved them (with difficulty!), removed the seeds and stringy stuff, and pre-baked them at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, which I had read would soften the peel and make them easier to peel and cube.

Oh my goodness! There has to be a better way! I have blisters and I don't think the pre-baking softened the peel at all.

Does anyone have tips on peeling these babies??

Kristina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peeling Hubbard Squash?

So now I've pre-baked for up to 35 minutes and the peel is still like stone!

o

I do mine in the microwave but even that takes 20-30 min. depending on size. I don't think 300 degrees is nearly hot enough for only 35 mins. and the bigger the squash the longer it takes. Even small Acorn squash get baked for an hour or so at 400 degrees.

But there sure is no need to get blisters. When soft enough it begins to cave in - at least mine do. You can just rap it hard with a big spoon to see if the rind begins to give in. Then let it cool before cutting.

Dave

o

I cook winter squash completely before trying to peel them.

o

I would wash the squash well and then place in the oven in a large baking pan with water and cook at 300 degrees for 4 hours, or until the squash is entirely cooked. I think the taste is better with squash cooked intact. I let the water evaporate from the pan and caramelize the skin to add extra flavor. Attacking large raw squash with knives is to dangerous and time consuming.

o

Thanks, everyone. I did freeze 1 squash - but when we ate it, it disagreed with our stomachs. So the rest went to the chickens!

o

I hope you do not abandon squash. Buttercup is a great tasting variety that is easy to bake intact.

o

Oh we love squash. But I don't the Hubbard is for us!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here