Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my4cowboys_gw

New to all of this . . . Advice please!

my4cowboys
11 years ago

I have been reading through this forum for quite a few weeks now, and read many library books on the topic of canning. I have kept a small garden the last few years, and this year, I really want to learn how to can. My plan was to wait until summer, maybe take a class if I can find it, and see what I can do in a few months.

However, my neighbor just gave me a huge box of apples for Christmas, and I am thinking it would be great to can some applesauce. I have made regular batches of applesauce for my family, so that doesn't seem too daunting, but I don't have any canning supplies.

My main question is what size pot should I get, 21 qt., 33 qt., ???, and then my secondary question is that I have a glass-topped stove, and I'm wondering if that will work OK with canning.

My plan for this summer is to can a lot of tomato sauce because we use it a lot in my cooking: spaghetti, soups, homemade pizza, etc., so I would like something big enough to work with big batches. But again, my glass-topped stove makes me nervous.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Hoping to maybe have my first canning adventure later this week!

Comments (4)