Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
incadove_gw

Canning raw salsa - help for a newbie?

incadove
16 years ago

I have an incredible salsa receipe that does not require cooking. I would like to add some acid and cold pack and water can it. I just want to be sure that I can do that, everything I have read calls for cooking/boiling the salsa before hand, which makes me nervous...anyone have any insight? I would be happy to share the receipe too :)

Comments (13)

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

You need to follow a tested recipe for salsa. Trying to guess on how much to add with your own recipe is not a good idea. If you want to use your own recipe then it is recommended you freeze it instead.
    Also, salsa is cooked before it goes into the jars because that is part of the safe acidification of the salsa. It allows the vegetables to start accepting the vinegar/bottled lemon juice.
    Elizabeth Andress from NCFHFP is the one who taught me about the science behind it. She says you need to cook the salsa first.
    I would have to look up the exact term she used.Sorry, I am too tired to remember right now the term she used.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

in addition to the safety issues
    ... once you apply heat, it is no longer RAW and the taste will be quite different. Freezing seems the only way to preserve the "incredible" taste.
    kay

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, thats tree about heat. The ONLY thing I can at home which iuses no heat processin is a very tender pepperoncini hot pepper. Its pickled in a full strength distilled vinegar and salt, and is done by use of a vacuum system I have, that pulls a vacuum on a canning jar to make the seal. If I were to attempt to pickle these using a heat process like a boiling water bath, it would soften the peppers too much and they would be mush. I do not use that process for anything else. and salsa would be dangerous to can without heat processing.

• love2troll
    16 years ago

Incadove,

If you give us the recipe we can make suggestions. Perhaps all but an ingredient or two could be canned and some ingredients added just before serving.

jt

• booberry85
    16 years ago

You might want to look through the thread below. There are several cannable recipes for salsa. Like JT said above, you can add some fresh ingredients to the salsa before serving. I'm very fond of Annie's salsa. I'm eating it right now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Greatest recipes for Leesa

• zabby17
    16 years ago

I love the fresh taste of raw salsa, too (tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime, a hint of cumin -- heaven!).

But as has been said, even if you felt comfortable ignoring the current recommendations to cook salsas before canning, the canning itself would cook it even longer (Annie's salsa, for example, cooks for 10 minutes but then is canned for 35).

Freezing the salsa will preserve a lot of the fresh taste, though you will lose a lot in texture. I have resigned myself to having fresh salsa only in fresh tomato season, and eat Annie's tested canned version --- maybe with a few fresh herbs or corn or beans added after opening, for variety --- all winter. It's much better than any commercial canned one. You can leave out the tomato paste for a fresher taste (and a runnier texture).

Zabby

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Just adding a bit of fresh veggies and herbs to a canned or frozen salsa helps to bring it back up to a tastier level.

• Michael Soto
    6 years ago

can

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

There is no way to do it. Even if you didn't worry about safety or care that it turned into a botulism bomb in a jar. The bottom line is that nothing that is canned - be it at home or commercially - can or will taste like fresh-made. And even if it wasn't cooked before it went into the jar it would be "cooked" while processing to create a seal on the jar. Freezing is the closest to fresh flavor you can get.

But salsa is one of the most risky vegetable mixes to mess around with when it comes to canning simply because it is a mix of low-acid vegetables packed in a vacuum for a time and then eaten fresh from the jar.

We can't always have what we want.

Dave

• Ann Orpin
    3 years ago

Why not just can your tomatoes and make salsa whenever you want that way retain

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Ann Orpin - not sure if you realized it, but you are addressing a member with only one post from 13 years ago.

• John Jack
    last year

You can always freeze can it