Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retsec

Wanted Recipe for Orange Pepper Jelly

retsec
12 years ago

Does anyone make this jelly or jam. I make a blueberry pepper jelly that is delicious with cream cheese and crackers. Was wondering if I could just substitute orange juice for the blueberry juice?

Comments (3)

• corrie22
    12 years ago

Orange Pepper Jelly

2 cups finely chopped sweet red peppers
    1/4 cup coarsely grated orange rind
    1/4 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed is best)
    1 1/4 cups white vinegar
    5 cups granulated sugar
    2 pkg. liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine sweet red peppers, orange rind and juice, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in sugar. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat; boil hard, stirring often for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in pectin. Stir for 5 minutes, skimming off any foam with a metal spoon.

Pour into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes. Makes about 5 1/2 cups.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I wanted to make a chili marmalade this year. When I looked up the relative acidity of oranges, I was surprised to find that the average acidity is in the upper 3's or low 4s. Which made me concerned about adding a low acid ingredient. So I ended up adding some lemon juice to my peppers before adding them to my marmalade. I used about 1-1/2 Tablespoons of minced peppers, which I "marinated" in about 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice. I had bhut jolokia peppers, so I didn't need to add much to the marmalade!

I only bring this us since blueberries are higher acid than oranges, and I personally would be concerned about the substitution. You don't post a recipe, so we have no idea how many peppers we are talking about. If I were you, I would add additional lemon juice, in about equal proportion to the peppers.

• retsec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information. I used a recipe for orange marmalade and left out the rind. I added jalapeno and bell peppers. It tastes just like I wanted. What was left in the pot jelled quickly but in the jars it is still runny. I know some jellies can take up to 2 weeks to jell. If it does OK, I will post the recipe I used later. Thanks for all your info.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler