Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennarae_gw

Canning Caramelized Onions?

JennaRae
12 years ago

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. I make killer caramelized onions and I want to can them. I've tried freezing them and they get freezer burnt really fast.

I found 2 recipes that seem close to what I want to do. One is from a Better Homes and Gardens Canning publication and one is from Putting Up More by Stephen Dowdney. Both use oil and butter to saute the onions and both use vinegars and/or wine to acidify the onions.

The BHG recipe recommends a 4oz jar with 1/4" headspace and processing in BWB for 5min. The Putting Up More states that the Ph needs to be below 4.3 and then hot packing the jars and inverting the jar to seal it. Personally, the PUM method freaks me out. What I am wondering is: can I BWB can the onions as long as they are acified with the vinegar or wine? I am thinking about making the PUM onion jam, but putting it into the smaller 4oz jars and BWB canning them. Will this work??? Where does the risk of botulism come in? And why can't I use oil/butter to cook the onions? I read that the oil can slow the heat penetration when BWB, so would the smaller 4oz jars offset this problem? I also have a pressure cooker, so if BWB doesn't work, can I use my pressure cooker? And I have read that you can oil pack (but not can) some products. Would that be a better way to preserve the onions?

Ok - so there are a lot of questions. :)

BHG Recipe:

Vidalia Onion and Maple Conserve

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup olive oil

2 1/2 lbs vidalia onions

2 tsp sea salt

2tbls fresh thyme

1 tsp black pepper

1 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup sherry vinegar

Cook everything and then stir in vinegar. Ladle into jars and BWB

Putting Up More

Sweet onion jam

1/4 cup butter

3 tbls olive oil

4lbs sweet onions

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup dark red wine

1/2 tsp salt

Caramelize onions with butter/oil and set aside. Cook all other ingredients until thick and Ph is 4.3 or below.

In looking at the ratio of butter/oil to the amount of onions, PUM is pretty small so would this negate the oil issue?

Comments (7)

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    12 years ago

I freeze mine in blocks and then pop the frozen blocks into a Foodsaver bag. No freezer burn yet.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Carol covered all the issues very well. Caramelized Onions is a freezer stored item.

Personally, the PUM method freaks me out.

Kudos to you for that. Trust your instincts.

Both of your recipe sources are "questionable" - to be polite - resources for safe canning info. We have discussed both books here several times and the consensus is that both books need to be used with great care.

Dave

• JennaRae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much for the explanations! I didn't know that the fat issue was b/c it coated the onions. So, then, in theory, if I cooked the onions down with OUT any oils/fats, then the vinegar would acidify the onions properly? I found another recipe which says it is from the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving and they made a onion relish cooking the onions w/o oil and BWB for 10min

4 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 cups dry red wine

6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or to taste)

IMPORTANT: if you intend to can this, do not use oil! The onions will provide plenty of moisture to the pan.

Place the onions in a pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar. Cook uncovered for 3o minutes or so, or until the onions are soften and start to brown and caramelize. Stir frequently. If the onions produce a lot of moisture, cook down until liquid has almost completely evaporated.

Stir in the wine, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and begins to thicken. Taste and correct seasoning.

Note: The cooking time will vary widely depending on the water content of your onions. The times given are based on average supermarket onions. If you have fresher onions, they will require more time for the moisture to evaporate.

Ladle relish into hot sterile jars. Leave a 1/2 inch head-space. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes for half-pint jars. See Home Canning Basics for more information about the canning process.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Note the 2 cups of wine in the recipe. That's why it's safe to can. Now, The Ball Complete Book has a Quick Red Onion Marmalade which doesn't use much vinegar, but it uses cranberries, apple juice, and lots of sugar. Doesn't sound like your caramelized onions at all.

Post your recipe, maybe someone can help you find a similar one to can, but it sounds like freezing is the only option (I second the Foodsaver suggestion!).

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving is a very reputable book with a highly trained author so no problems there. Agree that the no butter and all the wine makes is safe but suggest you make a small batch first to taste and see if you like it. It isn't normal caramelized onions.

But as others have said, best to find out just why freezer burn is a problem for you since it needn't be. I have frozen onions that are over 2 years old with no freezer burn.

Dave

• zabby17
    12 years ago

jennarae,

I've made the Caramalied Red Onion relish recipe from the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving. I like it---very tasty, very onion-y. But it's definitely a relish---has a distinct vinegary-y tang, not mistaken for right-off-the-fire caramalized onions (which I LOVE!).

The authors of SMALL BATCH PRESERVING are reliable and have good food science credentials; I would not hesitate to follow any of their recipes.

My favourite use for this recipe is to drain the onions well and use them to make a caramalized onion/barbecued chicken pizza. Yum!

Zabby