Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoe Soup recipe safe for canning? (another one)

Posted by dmc2709 none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 23:14

Is this recipe safe for water bath canning? It is a recipe I received from a relative after I tried some of theirs. It tasted quite good, but I'm not to certain on the process.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 median onion chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 14oz cans diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
6 cups fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice per jar

saute onions in oil till clear, add garlic and saute 30 seconds, add tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil.
reduce heat to low, add sliced basil and simmer a few minutes.
Puree soup with blender or hand mixer.
Add 1 tbsp Lemon juice to jar, fill with soup to 1/2 inch head space, place in bath. Process for 30 mins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoe Soup recipe safe for canning? (another one)

Is it safe? There is no way to know. It is a cooking recipe that someone has tried to convert to a canning recipe but left in the oil and the fresh basil which wouldn't be in a canning recipe.

It is untested so both the density and the pH is unknown and the processing time is just a guess.

It is a do at your own risk recipe.

Dave

o
RE: Tomatoe Soup recipe safe for canning? (another one)

I'd say with the chicken broth, the garlic and onion, not in a million years. A tablespoon of lemon juice couldn't begin to reduce the pH to a level suitable for BWB.

Besides, assuming the chicken broth is canned, you're canning canned tomatoes and canned broth amended with a few other ingredients, all available year-round except for the fresh basil. And that can be frozen in the summer. In other words, you'd essentially be re-canning, a total waste of your jars, lids and utilities.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here