Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite heather varieties?

Posted by pinkswine 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 22:12

I'm going to be ordering some heather plants and would like to know which varieties are your favorite? I would like to find some beautiful ones that look good in the winter as well as the summer. J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite heather varieties?

Since I can only have certain Heaths because of my neutral 6.8 soil I can only list those, but of what I have my favorites are:

Erica vagans:
Mrs D F Maxwell
Mrs Donaldson
Yellow John

Erica darleyensis:
Kramer's Rote
Furzey
Irish Treasure

Erica carnea:
Golden Starlet
Vivelli

I love the Heathers/Heaths but with us being so zone different I can't say whether any of these would be good for you.
Cher

o

Visit your local Lowes store now and over the next couple of weeks for winter blooming heathers grown in Oregon. Other varieties available at Lowes as the season progresses.

o

Bloom is not what attracts me to heath/heather, but rather the vividly colored foliage especially at this time of year when so many things are green or leafless.

I love Dart's Flamboyant, Wickwar Flame and Winter Chocolate, I also have several of a variety that is bright lemon yellow right now.

I keep telling myself that I should take cuttings of them so I can have more, but don't seem to get around to it.

o

I second Wickwar Flame, Winter Chocolate and add Kerstin, Velvet Fascination, Tib and Red Fred. All Calluna vulgaris cultivars.

Mrs. D.F. Maxwell is a great heath though she got sooo big for me she had to go.

Great mail order nursery linked, most heaths and heathers at big box stores are either not hardy or boring Mediterranean White and Pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaths and Heathers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here